Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SELECTDBA
Advocate I
Advocate I

Dataset Refreshes Fail when Ownership Account is Disabled

Hello;

We've noticed that as Dataset owner's AD accounts are disabled the Dataset will fail to refresh.  Meaning lets say you deploy a Dataset, you are automatically set as the Owner, and if your AD account is disabled (say you leave the company) then all of your Datasets fail to refresh.  Normally I would think this is by design, but with the way Gateways are configured, and how Datasets refresh using those service accounts, this seems like a bug.  

Thanks in advance.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

We do this proactively - we run scripts against our AD to identify workspace admins and dataset owners that are no longer valid and we alert the remaining admin(s) that they must add at least a second admin and/or fix the ownership.  Combination of Powershell and API calls.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

dataset ownership is not (directly) related to gateway connection refresh, But I can imagine that loss of that dataset owner will trigger the issues you described.

The remedy is quick - have someone else take ownership of the dataset either on the service UI or via API call.

Thanks for the response.  That's what we have been doing as far as taking over ownership, but thats time consuming, and sometimes days late after the account has been disabled.    

We do this proactively - we run scripts against our AD to identify workspace admins and dataset owners that are no longer valid and we alert the remaining admin(s) that they must add at least a second admin and/or fix the ownership.  Combination of Powershell and API calls.

Thanks for the suggestion.  That's a good idea and something we'll look to implement.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors