Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kich254

Dataset Refresh

Hi,

Found a rather curious thing with the dataset refresh: it only works in lineage view and not on the dataset context at the left panel. Meaning when i refresh and go to the report section under workspace there'll be no change. It'll only take effect when i view from the lineage view.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Excuse my "Noobism" but hadn't seen the refresh icon at the top right on the report sectiction 😯. Now it works. 

One more question: updating rows in the original on-premise data translates to the same in the power bi service on refresh but doesn't happen for newly added columns. Is that how it works? If so how can i go about adding new columns in the original data and not in power bi via the power query?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Are you sure it isn't your browser cache playing games with you?  Try the report route in incognito mode.

Excuse my "Noobism" but hadn't seen the refresh icon at the top right on the report sectiction 😯. Now it works. 

One more question: updating rows in the original on-premise data translates to the same in the power bi service on refresh but doesn't happen for newly added columns. Is that how it works? If so how can i go about adding new columns in the original data and not in power bi via the power query?

Any changes in meta data will be met with angry outbursts of juvenile petulance by the Power BI service.  Added columns are usually ignored but removed or renamed columns will result in broken visual rendering. The only remedy is a full dataset refresh that includes meta data updates. On Premium you also need to update the app.

I see. Sorry I din't mention was referring to the desktop version. Found a solution by editing the column count in "Advanced Editor" in power query editor. Thanks for you feedback, much appreciated..

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors