Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rogrimbe
Regular Visitor

Dataset Refresh not working

Hi, 

I'm using powerBI to visualize data from kusto database. 

I've defined a daily refresh (8 refreshs - due to limitaiton) and so far the refresh is working porperly every day (~15-20 min per refresh) but every week it seems like on Saturday the refersh is not working at all (constantly), even if I log in manually and do refresh now - it acts like it is working but no reflection of status done or failure in the UI history. 

on Sudnay the schedule refresh kick back in and working fine even updating the history of Saturday to be completed fine.

anyone encountered something like this? is there anywhere I can get detail logs of the refresh attempts? 

if any further informatino is needed I'll be happy to provide.

Thanks,

Roy 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for letting us know.

Not only that but where the possible issue is.

The only way I could think of a work around is if you are using Incremental Refresh where you might not require to refresh the entire table. That would then require Power BI Premium (for now, it is coming to Power BI Pro soon)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

It would indicate to me that there is something happening on the source database system on a Saturday causing this issue?

If you make no changes to anything in Power BI and it works again on a Sunday, that would indicate to me a potential issue from the source.

Power BI Blog

Hi Gilbert, 

Thanks for your reply. 

our application is constantly writting to kusto db so the data is there

and when doing the same query from the kusto explorer at that time it worked fine and returned results. 

I also think I did the same query from Power BI desktop and it worked but  I'll need to double check this the comming Saturday and get back to you on this (if it is fine?)  

only from the power BI server it didn't work or at least didn't reflect the change both in the visualizations and the refresh history 

can this be something in the communication between them? any way for me to look at detailed logs?

Hi there,

That is perfect, let me know how it goes next Saturday.

You can view the logs under the scheduled Refresh which do give a fair bit of information when it fails.

It is under Settings, Datasets, then click on your Dataset and then Refresh History

Power BI Blog

Hi, 

Of course when I checked this Saturday and it worked fine 🙂 

so the general definition is working and I thnk I know what happen in the previous time. 

it seems that I have one problimatic table that sometime based on the current time defined (1 week of data filter)

can generate 50K results and sometimes much much more, based on traffic and user actions.

and also the several times I got an email that the refresh failed was due to that table. 

and the reason it works on the kusto explorer is maybe less stric settings. 

is it possible to not cancel the entire dataset due to one table? or should I tweak the the filters 

Thanks for letting us know.

Not only that but where the possible issue is.

The only way I could think of a work around is if you are using Incremental Refresh where you might not require to refresh the entire table. That would then require Power BI Premium (for now, it is coming to Power BI Pro soon)

Power BI Blog

Great, we wanted to go Premium for the hourly refresh (24/7) so now with the incremental that just nails it. 

Thanks

That is awesome, glad there are multiple features that you can use!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors