Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mike_honey
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Dataset Refresh error Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 provider is not registered on the local machine

I built a report using PBI Desktop - the source is an Excel file on a public website (not OneDrive).  When I publish it and then try to use the Power BI site to refresh the dataset, I get this error:

Data source errorExcel Workbook: The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on the local machine. The 64-bit version of the Access Database Engine 2010 Access Database Engine OLEDB provider is required to connect to read this type of file. To download the client software, visit the following site: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=285987.

Here's the source web page:

http://abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/DetailsPage/5368.0Apr%202016?OpenDocument

Here's a sample URL to one of the Excel files on that page:

http://abs.gov.au/ausstats/meisubs.NSF/log?openagent&536801.xls&5368.0&Time Series Spreadsheet&A6970A1F22604DBBCA257FC50017F8C5&0&Apr 2016&02.06.2016&Latest

Any ideas how I can overcome this?  

53 REPLIES 53

Hi there

As per the details below it would need to be XLSX or XLSM

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-excel-workbook-files/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Jmenas
Advocate III
Advocate III

Hi all,

I have experienced the same issue and no luck trying to change the file or making the installation Passive.  Is there another way to automatically change the file extensions at the moment? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello , an option to solve this issue is create a Power Query since web, save like an xlsx file and connect this new query with the Power BI. 

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Could a potential work around be for now, to use Power Flow, and download the file to OneDrive, and then from there Power BI can then connect to the file via OneDrive?

In doing it that way, the Power BI Service will be able to refresh every 15 minutes which is the default setting. As well as the Power Flow downloading the file to the same location?

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ your sugested work around of using MS FLow could be an option. However, I have looked at Flow and can not see any easy way to be able to download a file from the web to One Drive. Can you give me some pointers on how you would do this. Thank you very much.

Hi there, here is an example from Microsoft

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/get-started-logic-flow/ 

And when you get to adding an action, change that to an Excel File.

NOTE: You will have to see the format of the data you are getting and create a table in Excel that represents this dataset. 

NOTE II: Also ensure that you save your Excel File in OneDrive for Business, as this will mean that you can quickly connect to it via the Power BI Service or Power BI Desktop (and get 15 minute automated refreshing)

So when you make the action to an Excel file, you will be able to map the output columns to columns in your Excel File.

Then once that is done your data source should be updated automatically.

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ that sounds interesting, but that link you posted gives a 404. I tried browsing from the home page but couldnt find what you described.

Hi there,

Apologies if you can try this link please.

There is a wealth of information and documentation on their website.

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ - it looks like you left the new link off that last message?

Sorry about that here it is:

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/get-started-logic-flow/

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ thanks for the idea in principal it sounded good. However, as I expected you still run into the problem that Power BI can not update from a xls file even when it is saved on OneDrive. The error message is the same as @mike_honey was getting as shown below. Given that Power BI and OneDrive are both in the cloud it is obviously not possible to run the client software. @Vicky_Song any updates or sugested work arounds.

Data source error:Excel Workbook: The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on the local machine. The 64-bit version of the Access Database Engine 2010 Access Database Engine OLEDB provider is required to connect to read this type of file. To download the client software, visit the following site: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=285987

@Vicky_Song any update on this?

Hello,

Is there any resolution to this problem?

I have xlsx files on One Drive for Business and accessed these files using Get Data-> Sharepoint folder and still the same problem occurs when i try to refresh through the Power BI Online Service. The same works fine on Power BI desktop though.

Any pointers appreciated.

Thank You,

Harisha

Hi All,

I do have the same issue. Any news ?

Best regards

Olivier

Bumping this thread. 

Anybody have a resolution for this? I am having the same issue currently.

Bumping this thread. 

Anybody have a resolution for this? I am having the same issue currently.

dcresp
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

This one has also got 3 votes from me. We deal with a lot of ABS data and Power Query provides a great way to interact with the data. However, not being able to auto refresh the data is a killer for us. Is there any update on this one as it seems to have gone quite. This has been an ongoing issue and should be an easy one for MS to resolve. Thank you for any assistance that is provided with this.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi mike_honey,

How do you connect to the Excel file residing on public website from Power BI Desktop? By using the Web option as follows?
Capture.JPG

If that is the case, please help to check the above sample URL of Excel file and correct it. I am not able to open the sample URL and I can’t test it in Power BI Desktop.

In addition, what is the result after you install the Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 provider?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Here's the URL:

http://abs.gov.au/ausstats/meisubs.NSF/log?openagent&536801.xls&5368.0&Time Series Spreadsheet&A6970...

Note I'm not having any issues loading that file in PBI Desktop.  The provider is already installed and working on my machine.

The error occurs after publishing to PBI Web, and trying to use the dataset's REFRESH NOW link in PBI web.

Obviously I dont have any way to install it on the PBI Web machine.

Hi mike_honey,

I can reproduce the issue as yours. I will report it internally and post back once I get any update.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@mike_honey, the error message you got usually occurs when connect to .xls file. From the URL you provided, we can see that you try connecting to .xls file, I think that may be the reason why the error occurs. A similar thread you can check. 

So, please:

1). As suggested in that thread, use .xlsx file instead of .xls.

2). Download and install x64 Access Database Engine 2010 Access Database Engine OLEDB provider

If you still get the same error, please post back. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors