Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lrobb
Frequent Visitor

Dataset Refresh Timeout Help!

Hello All,

I have a dataset that's failing to refresh due to timeout. I know there are lots of people out there who have dealt with this, however, I need some help myself. The issue is that it refreshes fine in desktop with no issues. The timeout doesn't have a specific error (which data source was taking a long time, at what point in the refresh it failed, etc.). In this case the common "go to" such as gateway, data source infrastructure, etc. doesn't really apply because we import everything into dataflows and the model only draws on the dataflows. Also, all of the complex operations are performed in data flows.

Is there a way I can get a report of what refreshed and what didn't? is there a way to understand where my refresh is failing and why? I will admit it is a fairly size-able and complex model for pro (> 100MB).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dhruvinushah
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @lrobb ,

In my experience, when the refresh times out it's because one or more of the queries are running slowly and causing a hold up for other queries.
It could be possible that when you refresh the data in Power BI Desktop on your local machine, some of the information for the refresh is stored in your local cache. And when you refresh it in your Power BI Service, this is not the case and hence it probably takes longer and results in timing out.

Without more information on your requirement here are some of my recommendations for your issue: 

* You can clear the cache in the Options settings of your Power BI file.

* You can also increase the amount of RAM allocated to allow more data to be loaded. 

* You can schedule the refresh at a time when the server may have more bandwidth to run the query. 

* I would suggest optimizing your queries, deleting any fields that are "heavy" and not needed. 

Sometimes when loading from web sources like Odata, the queries load data row after row which can be slow running and cause issues during refresh. 
You can install awesome external tools like the Tabular Editor, DAX studio to deep dive into your queries and fields.  How To Install DAX Studio & Tabular Editor In Power BI - Enterprise DNA
Power BI's Query analyzer is also great at analyzing slow running queries.

Hope this helps, please reply with more information about your issue so we can understand your issue better. Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
dhruvinushah
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @lrobb ,

In my experience, when the refresh times out it's because one or more of the queries are running slowly and causing a hold up for other queries.
It could be possible that when you refresh the data in Power BI Desktop on your local machine, some of the information for the refresh is stored in your local cache. And when you refresh it in your Power BI Service, this is not the case and hence it probably takes longer and results in timing out.

Without more information on your requirement here are some of my recommendations for your issue: 

* You can clear the cache in the Options settings of your Power BI file.

* You can also increase the amount of RAM allocated to allow more data to be loaded. 

* You can schedule the refresh at a time when the server may have more bandwidth to run the query. 

* I would suggest optimizing your queries, deleting any fields that are "heavy" and not needed. 

Sometimes when loading from web sources like Odata, the queries load data row after row which can be slow running and cause issues during refresh. 
You can install awesome external tools like the Tabular Editor, DAX studio to deep dive into your queries and fields.  How To Install DAX Studio & Tabular Editor In Power BI - Enterprise DNA
Power BI's Query analyzer is also great at analyzing slow running queries.

Hope this helps, please reply with more information about your issue so we can understand your issue better. Thanks!

I was able to figure it out. There is an operation I'm performing which (not surprisingly) caused an issue. I had a visual which required too much RAM to load, so I pushed it to a calculated table, however, this also failed the refresh for the same reason.

Hi @lrobb , There's a setting in PBI Desktop where you can increase the RAM / cache memory used by the PBi file.
Go to Options of your PBix file. And find the Cache memory option and change it to maximum available on your laptop / machine.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors