Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dataset Refresh Slow on Service

I have a dataset that contains 3 big tables and 10 small tables. 1 of the big table is directly pulling data from Oracle database, the other 2 tables are referenced by this 1 big table. I have also done a lot of Power Query editing, such as renamed every column. Settings in datasource of Oracle database is import, not DirectQuerry.

Now, the dataset refresh on service is triggered by restful Api with a Powershell script. It takes about 10 mins on average if it is the only dataset runs the refresh on the gateway, 16 mins if it runs the refresh with other dataset refresh simultaneously. My end client wants me to reduce the refresh time.

I installed my On-Premise gateway on a virtual server has 32GB ram and 8 cores.

Can you give me some other hints for making it faster?

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

It would appear that possibly your On-Premise server is running at max CPU and memory when both data refreshes are running.

You would have to see which data refresh is CPU intensive.
Some idea would be when the data is refreshed via Power Query this can be an expensive CPU exercise and if there are other datasets running in parallel this could affect the performance. I would have a look at the other datasets also.

If I could ask why they would want it to refresh faster, when you can only refresh 8 times a day, which is hourly on Power BI Pro?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors