Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dataset Refresh History showsOn Demand

HI,

I was trying to refresh dataset thru API using microsoft flow, and in the PBI service, under my dataset refresh history, it is listed as 

'On Demand' which i think is manual refresh. In that case why the the dataset refresh is limited to 8 times per day when refreshing frm API call. There is no limit for manual refreshes, right? If I click 'Refresh Now' from dataset, it is also listed as 'On Demand' but i can refresh any number of times. If i want to know how many refreshes left on dataset (via API or schedule), how can i find it.?

3 REPLIES 3

@Anonymous From my understanding you get 8x refreshes per day. It doesn't matter how you mix them, if you do 2 manual and 6 scheduled anything beyond that in a 24 hour period would fail. 8x is all up number. 

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Seth_C_Bauer..For manual refresh (going to dataset and click 'Refresh now') there is no limit . I can refresh it any number of times.  If we schedule it or refresh it thru api or any other way then there would be limit of 8 per day. That is what i was wondering, if we trigger the refresh thru api it should be considered as manual only but its not

@Anonymous Can't find the source of where I thought it was limited in manual, so I'll go with your answer if that is what you are seeing. I would disagree with your premise that an API should act the same. It makes more sense that they lock down the automated refreshes to limit the bandwidth on shared resources in Power BI. (Which is why they limit this). You get better scale with a premium license (48x refreshes per day) which implies they actively shut that down in the general Pro license set up.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors