Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jbgonzalez
Frequent Visitor

Dataset Permission not working as expected

Hi Everyone.

I need some help with the Permissions scenarios in Power BI Services.

I have a Dataset that is stored in Workspace 1 (Development Workspace). Out of this dataset, I have created new reports that are now store in Workspace 2 where the end users are added as Members.

If I don't add those end users (as Member) to Workspace 1, they are not able to see the reports visuals in Workspace 2.

Permission Error.PNG

From what I understand, I just need to add them to Workspace 2 and to the Dataset Permissions in Manage Permission.

Is my understanding correct?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jose Bolivar Gonzalez

6 REPLIES 6
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @jbgonzalez ,

the dataset is hosted in workspace A, this makes the dataset a shared dataset.

Users that are added to workspace B, do not obtain access to the dataset, this privilege has been explicity been provided. The following screenshots show how this can be setup, please be aware that this is demonstrated for a single user. This user is not added to the workspace, just Read to the dataset is provided.

Provide access to the dataset, from within workspace A:
image.png

Add a user:
image.png

Provide Read access (just add a user, don't check any checkboxes):

image.png

Dataset permissions after the user has been added:

image.png

After the above the user that have been added to workspace B, and not to workspace A,  will no longer see the below dialog:

image.png

Mission accomplished 🙂

Hopefully this is what you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hi Tom, thanks for the reply.

That is what I did, but still the user in workspace B had the Permission Required message.

I also have one Role of Row Level Security enforeced in this dataset. Could this be giving the problem?

Hey @jbgonzalez ,

this is exactly the problem.

You have to configure RLS for users of the "remote" workspace as well.

Please be aware, that RLS only works if accessed from inside a workspace if the user is assigned to the viewer role and this workspace is backed by a dedicated capacity, meaning Premium capacity.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Thanks again @TomMartens 

The RLS I have applied is just for one user of workspace B, the other users can't have RLS because they have to have full access to the data.

The other thing is that this user with RLS I just gave him access to the App of workspace B. The other user are just accessing the report directly in the workspace.

Note: Every user have a Pro License and are added with the Member role.

Hi @jbgonzalez ,

Refer to this post: "Visual contains restricted data" error but user has access to dataset and report does NOT have RLS"

"I'm guessing there was some bug on the backend that maybe was cleared out when we added the rights for the new report. While I'm not sure what was the solution if you have this issue I would try adding a new report and see if that clears things up for you. "

Maybe you can try adding a new report in Workspace 2.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Joey
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-joesh-msft 

Thanks for your help. I will try that. I'll let you know what happen.

Best,

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors