Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GHoggarth
Frequent Visitor

Dataset Connection Credential Issue

I have a dashboard created in PBI desktop (MySQL referenced for dataset) which was published to the web interface. My attempts to allow the web interface to access and refresh the data source have been... lackluster. I have been through the process of creating an on-premises data gateway (personal mode), which appears to have worked as I can see and use the gateway under "gateway connection" (see below).

image.png

However, I am now encountering an invalid credential error under "data source credentials".

image.png

Any attempts to enter the username and password are fruitless and I receive the following error: "Failed to update data source credentials: The credentials provided for the MySql source are invalid." I have tried changing the privacy level, however, nothing seems to want to stick. I have verified that the credentials are still good via PBI and workbench.

image.png

image.png

I have tried spent some time trying to get this to work (restarting the gateway, playing around with settings within PBI desktop, republishing) and I'm not sure where I might be going wrong. Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GHoggarth
Frequent Visitor

RESOLVED: Server communication was encrypted via SSL. It appears that the certificate needs to be installed on the system running the gateway: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/fr-fr/blog/ssl-security-error-with-data-source/

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
GHoggarth
Frequent Visitor

RESOLVED: Server communication was encrypted via SSL. It appears that the certificate needs to be installed on the system running the gateway: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/fr-fr/blog/ssl-security-error-with-data-source/

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @GHoggarth 

From the error above it is saying that the username and password that you have entered is not working.

Can you use the same username and password in Power BI Desktop in your gateway connection?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ,

Thank you for your response. Credentials have been confirmed in PBI desktop and MySQL Workbench.

Hi @GHoggarth 

Can you also check that from the Gateway Server that it can successfully connect to the MySql database?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ,

Thank you again for your response.

The on-premises data gateway (personal mode) I am using appears to have a connection. What can I do to verify that the gateway is making a connection to the MySQL database?

GHoggarth_0-1652701378703.pngGHoggarth_1-1652701439137.png

Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors