Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rdnguyen
Helper V
Helper V

Datamart question

The calculated column is proven to be useful and convenient in report design which is absent in live connection report hooking up to Datamart; I wonder how would you deal with this when utilizing datamart as self-service model?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rdnguyen ,

These kind of limitation is determined by the connection mode Live Connection itself. When the connection mode is Live Connection, model actions like build relationships, create calculations etc. are not supported in Power BI for the data source is a tabular model that can be used by Power BI directly. For such kind of data source, calculations like create Calculated columns, measures are completed in the data source. When you live connect to Datamarts, these limitations are applied as well. Fortunately, Power BI provides the ability to change the connection mode of Datamarts from Live Connection to Direct Query if you would like to calculate on connected model. With the Direct Query mode, you could build your Calculated columns and relationships.

Before the switch, you need enable DirectQuery for PBI datasets and AS in the Preview features and restart your Power BI Desktop.

vcazhengmsft_0-1658823128823.png

Click on Make changes to this model

vcazhengmsft_1-1658823128824.png

Then, the connection mode is Direct Query. You could create Calculated column or build relationships in this environment.

vcazhengmsft_2-1658823128825.png

However, there still some considerations when creating Calculated columns with Direct Query mode. For more details, you could refer to Use DirectQuery in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rdnguyen ,

These kind of limitation is determined by the connection mode Live Connection itself. When the connection mode is Live Connection, model actions like build relationships, create calculations etc. are not supported in Power BI for the data source is a tabular model that can be used by Power BI directly. For such kind of data source, calculations like create Calculated columns, measures are completed in the data source. When you live connect to Datamarts, these limitations are applied as well. Fortunately, Power BI provides the ability to change the connection mode of Datamarts from Live Connection to Direct Query if you would like to calculate on connected model. With the Direct Query mode, you could build your Calculated columns and relationships.

Before the switch, you need enable DirectQuery for PBI datasets and AS in the Preview features and restart your Power BI Desktop.

vcazhengmsft_0-1658823128823.png

Click on Make changes to this model

vcazhengmsft_1-1658823128824.png

Then, the connection mode is Direct Query. You could create Calculated column or build relationships in this environment.

vcazhengmsft_2-1658823128825.png

However, there still some considerations when creating Calculated columns with Direct Query mode. For more details, you could refer to Use DirectQuery in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

itchyeyeballs
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I stopped using calculated columns as I found the initial benefit of being able to quickly create them was more than offset by the extra work figuring out where the logic was when I returned to the model after a period of time and couldn't remember if they were in the ETL or model. It was also easier to ask my team to do everything in ETL so it was always in one place.

rdnguyen
Helper V
Helper V

Another question regarding the relationship model, why cannot I build many-many relationship in datamart; Should we always make extra table to set up 1-many relationship for every many-many relationship?

Using a factless fact table as a bridge to avoid many:many relationships has always been the official recommendation anyway, so I don't think it's a big loss.

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
------------------------------------------------
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals
itchyeyeballs
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I guess the theory is that a datamart enables users to modify the ETL process directly so you don't need calculated columns in the model?

@itchyeyeballs I would likely agree that calculated column could be done perfectly at Power Query editing level, but the calculated column is more convenient on the fly, when you want to display combined data as slicer options. Regarding combined data for slicer options, how would you deal with that?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors