Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dataflows with historical or recent data

Hi

I'm starting to use PowerBi Dataflow. I've created a dataflow with historical data from customers. It has about 50 millions rows..

In this historical data, I also have the updated data, by using a date field.

I want to create two types of PBI Reports:

a) Reports that use the historical data from previous years to curent

b) Reports that only use date from current year.

The trouble is that when I load the data into PowerBi desktop, it always loads the whole dataflow, making it very slow and loading about 5 GB of data..

Is there any way to have a single dataflow, but allowing me to get only the last year from this dataflow?

Or I should have two dataflows, one historical, and one "last year" ?

This is an example... I'm loading 3 rows from a dataflow, but it load 1,8 Gb.. and of couse, this takes a lot of time.

borrar.png

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

In fact, these steps are operated on power bi service dataflow side.

You can export the 'JSON' file with existed dataflow, then you can import it to quickly create a duplicate of specific dataflow. You can edit this entity and add a query filter into the connector.
For example,  you are using SQL connector then raw dataflow not add any query, you can add filter queries to the duplicated entity to reduce data amount.
After these steps, you can use power bi dataflow connect to get data from the duplicated dataflow instead of getting data from raw dataflow with huge amount records.

BTW, the above steps are used to prevent to use 'computed entity' feature which required a premium license.
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

I'd like to suggest you create sub queries to reference raw dataflow entities and adding filters based on 'DateTime.LocalNow' function and extract the year part for calculating. You can get data from these subquery tables to loading records in a specific date range.

Filter by Today’s date in Power Query 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks

I tried to do something similar, by filtering by a fixed value for a column in PowerBi desktop. Should it be the same? (Except, of course, a dinamic range of dates)

I ask, because with this filter in PowerBI desktop, I still have to download the whole dataset, and just then, it filters the data.

Thanks!

Hi @Anonymous,

In fact, these steps are operated on power bi service dataflow side.

You can export the 'JSON' file with existed dataflow, then you can import it to quickly create a duplicate of specific dataflow. You can edit this entity and add a query filter into the connector.
For example,  you are using SQL connector then raw dataflow not add any query, you can add filter queries to the duplicated entity to reduce data amount.
After these steps, you can use power bi dataflow connect to get data from the duplicated dataflow instead of getting data from raw dataflow with huge amount records.

BTW, the above steps are used to prevent to use 'computed entity' feature which required a premium license.
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Anonymous
Not applicable

That is useful.

I have premium license, so I will try with computer entity.

Altought I was expecting the dataflow to act like "dataset", where I connect the dataset, but I don't have the need to download all the data.

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors