Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Vucko
Advocate II
Advocate II

Dataflows - linked entities chain design

Hi,

I have a question related to dataflows and linked entities and how to best design the scenario I have.

I have 3 different data sources. For each of them, I have 3 different dataflows to ingest data from these sources.
Then I have 1 transformation dataflow which is using data from the 3 ingestion dataflows and this transformation dataflow is saved in the same workspace to utilize the auto refresh feature of the linked entities and the enhanced compute engine.
Then I have final dataflow for consumption saved in the same workspace which is using data from the transformation dataflow.

How to go about refreshing this whole dataflow chain?
The refresh of the 3 ingestion dataflows is triggered by power automate flow depending on email alert. The refresh of all 3 dataflows starts at the same time - but only one of them is refreshing successfully, the other 2 fail with ErrorMessage : Cannot acquire lock for model because it is currently in use - so I assume there is a conflict.
When I set the refresh on the transformation dataflow, then just the transformation and consumption dataflows are refreshed, but not the ingestion dataflows.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Vucko ,

This seems to me like a timing issue.  I would schedule each of the initial 3 dataflows to run sequentially and then schedule the 4th one (the one that puts them together) and then finally the 5th dataflow.  You will have to check the run times of each and make sure that you are keeping them all sequential.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

If I start refreshing any of the ingestion dataflows, the transformation and consumption dataflows get refreshed automatically as well as per the linked entities functionality. 

So there's no way how to trigger refresh of the transformation dataflow that would refresh all 3 ingestion dataflows at the same time without doing it sequentially?

Hey @Vucko ,

I do not believe that there is a way to do it from the dataflow itself to get it to work right....but....I am wondering about using Power Automate/Flow?  I personally do not have knowledge to help write that but perhaps somebody at your organization (or you) can.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors