Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dataflows are supported in Power BI Pipelines

I think this issues actually renders pipelines not useable at the moment

Ive spent the last few months pushing users to move to dataflows "Power BI introduces dataflows to help organizations unify data from disparate sources and prepare it for modeling"

Everyone understands why dataflows are a good thing and have made an effort to use them.

Now everyone is excited to move to pipelines with their Premium capacity. However Ive just found out it doesnt work with dataflows. Ive tried it. You get your unsupported warnings and when you look at your reports in your test environment you cant see anything even after a refresh.

Basically, I dont feel I can now backtrack on telling people that actually dataflows arent really useable if they want to create Pipelines in their Premium capacity.

I would feel better if someone could say, this is coming in a specified amount of time. I really dont know what to tell people at the moment. they have spent a lot of time following the recommendations of dataflows. 

8 REPLIES 8
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @DebbieE 

Dataflows are unsupported in Power BI Pipelines currently. Deploying pipelines is a new feature which may not provide answers to all of lifecycle management problems. To continue and provide you with features you will use and love, I'd like to suggest you post ideas or vote for them and add your comments there to improve Power BI for making this feature coming sooner.

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @DebbieE,

We are definitely aware that this support is missing, and it's on our backlog.

it will be supported post GA, so i don't have a specific timeline to share at the moment.

you can vote for this feature here - https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/40487212-deployment-pipelines-to-...

Thanks,

Any news on this feature yet? Ive been asked about it again and people are keen to start using Pipelines

Hi,

we started the work on dataflows support,

but it will take us additional fwe months to release it.

Hopefully by end of Q2 CY21 it will be available.

Has it been released ? Does deployment pipeline fully support the dataflows ?

Yes, its fully supported.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @DebbieE,

I've got specific timeline nor inside info on this, and I definitely understand your disappointment.

From what I gathered, the release of Deployment Pipelines was a v1, with clear options for improvement in the future. I've had chats with a few people the past weeks, and they're well aware of dataflows needing to be included to have a complete solution. 

I was looking for a 'workaround' with REST APIs, but at the moment I can only find GET APIs which only gets us so far ..

I'm hoping/rooting for an update after the summer, but I've got nothing to back that up ..

But, given the loud shouts for ALM in the offering, I can only assume they're working on it!

Benni

At least thats something.

Its taken me months to get everyone on board with using dataflows. Now they are excited about the Pipeline and I dont really know what to tell them.

This would have been fine if you hadnt gone with the guidance and moved to dataflows but now you need to either redo all your work or Wait for pipelines to catch up.

Im struggling to get a good way to handle people on this one. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors