Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dataflows and Sharepoint Lists. Issues with [List] Items

We are trying to move people over to use dataflows where ever possible to centralise the data transformations.

However, we are currently working with Sharepoint lists. If the users do the transformations within power Query Editor in desktop they see [List] on certain columns and they can expand the column

In the dataflow in service they see [Error] and there is no icon that allows you to expand the list. 

Has anyone seen these problems and is there a way round them? Currently Im being asked what the point is to using dataflows when they seem so flaky and slow and Im getting to the point where I cant anwer that question. It seems to me that dataflows need a lot more work to make them usable.

So advice on what I can do about this issue in the dataflow would help me with users who are really not impressed with the dataflow solution

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DebbieE,

I think dataflow entity and online editor can't fully replace the local client editors.

AFAIK, dataflow use Power Query online environment which hosts on the cloud server. For performance, permissions, and security related reasons, it should have more limits on usage.  You can take a look at the following link to know more about the limitations of PQO editor:

Power Query Online Limits 

Power BI Security#data-storage-security 

BTW, some of the advanced operations have been moved to the computed entity for better performance, you can refer to the below documents to know more about these:

Dataflows limitations and considerations 

Premium features of dataflows 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

the major problem with the computed entity is that is appears to only be available in Premium which to me seems a bit ridiculous because we only want to use Premium for Production.

I cant do basic things like merging table in the dataflow because its not in Premium

is it a possibility that dataflows are a bit pointless usless you have premium capacity?

its beginning to feel that way

HI @DebbieE,

As you know, power query online editor is host on the cloud server side. For this scenario, power bi will share some of the resources to simulate the editor and use it to execute its formulas.
The online version not the same as the desktop side, it not has enough permission and memory to execute all M query functions(some complex functions require a lot of resources, some of them executed very slowly).
For this scenario, these functions have been assigned to the premium license who has standalone server resources to execute with better performance and high permissions.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors