Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dataflow: use of M function turns workspace into Premium capacity?

I'm trying to recreate in dataflows some PQ processes I have in Excel and Power BI, and am suprised by the fact using an M function (e.g. a call to a REST API) is bringing up a reference to "computed entities", which are limited to Power BI Premium.

The same function can be called and refreshed on a regular Power BI Pro dataset, why would using M functions in Dataflows be limited to Premium?! I'm not trying to calculate aggregations here, I'm just automating API calls.

Also, even though the function (creating by pasting M code in a blank query) seems to be recognized as such at creation:

pqo-creation.png

It is then automatically turned into a table. Are functions even supported in Dataflows at the moment? I really want to love dataflows but the beta experience has been pretty rough so far.

Here's my function just for reference:

let
ReturnDetails = (placeid as text) =>
Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/place/details/json?placeid=" & placeid & "&fields=website,formatted_phone_number,url,rating&language=en-Au&region=au&key=xyz"))
in
ReturnDetails

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
------------------------------------------------
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @otravers

What you need to do, is to disable the loading of your function.

Here is a great blog post explaining how to fix it and why it happens.

https://ssbipolar.com/2018/11/23/power-bi-dataflows-reuse-without-premium/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

The actual issue is that PowerBI Data Flow cannot handle variables in the url argument. If you place the variables to another argument of the Web.Contents() function, there are no issues:

let
ReturnDetails = (placeid as text) =>
Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/place/details/",[RelativePath="json?placeid=" & placeid & "&fields=website,formatted_phone_number,url,rating&language=en-Au&region=au&key=xyz"]))
in
ReturnDetails

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors