Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

richard-powerbi
Post Patron
Post Patron

Dataflow under Power BI vs Dataflow under PowerApps

So I've created Dataflows before under Power BI.

Right now I'm discovering the world of Dataflows under PowerApps.

I'm wondering what the difference in usecase is.

I'm getting the idea that the Dataflow functionallity under PowerApps is the same but more advanced. You can create extra fields and read/write. Also it seems like you have unlimited refreshes without premium (but with PowerApps license).

So I'm thinking of replacing the Power BI dataflows by PowerApps dataflows.

I tried using a Power BI as a source in a PowerApps dataflow, but I believe that's not allowed. And it might be stupid.

Also I had lots of trouble getting data from SharePoint Folders and SQL through the interface of PowerApps dataflow. All kinds of errors about permissions etc. I discovered that just starting a blank query and coding the source data in M allowed me to access any source.

1 REPLY 1
edhans
Super User
Super User

My understanding is Data Flows in Power Apps are entities (tables) loaded to the Common Data Service (CDS) whereas data flows in Power BI are just for use with Power BI and are read only (until refreshed of course). Those in CDS can be used by Apps and Flows and can be manipulated, and Power BI can use them as well for reporting.

I am thinking I'll use those in the Power Apps side for increased functionality overall, but in use cases where I never want an app to modify the data for any reason, I'll use the data flow on the Power BI side.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors