Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

coathangers
Frequent Visitor

Dataflow to SharePoint folder to combine XLSX files Error: DataFormat.Error: Root element is missing

A dataflow that combines a folder of .XLSX files from a sharepoint recently stopped refreshing.

Dataflow > sharepoint folder > filter to folder > combine files

Now I get:

Error: DataFormat.Error: Root element is missing.

Every time I recreate this with the same permissions I get this error when it was working fine for about 1 year before. Has there been a recent update to change the way .XML is being accessed?

Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I found the problem and it was one of the (100s of) files in the folder. I just now have to find out which one.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

It's not clear where in your query this error is occurring. Let's break it down into the smallest possible parts. Is your Source stage connecting to the SharePoint folder still working? Screenshots would help.

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

Thanks, there is nothing outside of basic data query functionality that I am doing here.

I create a "Sharepoint Folder" data query with a sharepoint connection that works fine for .csv file combining, but fails with these Excel files.

filter to the folder in Sharepoint (I have tested this with a fresh connection to Sharepoint numerous times). Then use the "Combine Files" feature in the content column. It creates the helper query and converts each file (they are all identical excel files and only excel files are in that folder).

combine-excel-error1.jpgcombine-excel-error2.jpg

It errors when I just refresh the flow, and I can trigger the error in the dataflow editor when filtering by string values:

combine-excel-error3.jpg

I found the problem and it was one of the (100s of) files in the folder. I just now have to find out which one.

You should be able to isolate the erroring row/file, probably best to do it from the Expanded step of your query.

https://radacad.com/exception-reporting-in-power-bi-catch-the-error-rows-in-power-query

1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors