cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
coathangers
Frequent Visitor

Dataflow to SharePoint folder to combine XLSX files Error: DataFormat.Error: Root element is missing

A dataflow that combines a folder of .XLSX files from a sharepoint recently stopped refreshing.

 

Dataflow > sharepoint folder > filter to folder > combine files

 

Now I get:

 

Error: DataFormat.Error: Root element is missing.

 

Every time I recreate this with the same permissions I get this error when it was working fine for about 1 year before. Has there been a recent update to change the way .XML is being accessed?

 

Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I found the problem and it was one of the (100s of) files in the folder. I just now have to find out which one.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
otravers
Super User
Super User

It's not clear where in your query this error is occurring. Let's break it down into the smallest possible parts. Is your Source stage connecting to the SharePoint folder still working? Screenshots would help.

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
------------------------------------------------
More tips and guidance in my Power BI architecture and development blog

Thanks, there is nothing outside of basic data query functionality that I am doing here.

 

I create a "Sharepoint Folder" data query with a sharepoint connection that works fine for .csv file combining, but fails with these Excel files.

 

filter to the folder in Sharepoint (I have tested this with a fresh connection to Sharepoint numerous times). Then use the "Combine Files" feature in the content column. It creates the helper query and converts each file (they are all identical excel files and only excel files are in that folder).

 

combine-excel-error1.jpgcombine-excel-error2.jpg

 

It errors when I just refresh the flow, and I can trigger the error in the dataflow editor when filtering by string values:

 

combine-excel-error3.jpg

I found the problem and it was one of the (100s of) files in the folder. I just now have to find out which one.

You should be able to isolate the erroring row/file, probably best to do it from the Expanded step of your query.

https://radacad.com/exception-reporting-in-power-bi-catch-the-error-rows-in-power-query

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
------------------------------------------------
More tips and guidance in my Power BI architecture and development blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
September Update

Check it Out!

Click here to learn more about the September 2022 updates!

Power BI Show episode 9

The Power BI Community Show

Watch the playback when Priya Sathy and Charles Webb discuss Datamarts! Kelly also shares Power BI Community updates.

Power BI Dev Camp Session 25

Ted's Dev Camp - August 25, 2022

Watch Session 25 of Ted's Dev Camp.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors