Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jskipper
Frequent Visitor

Dataflow showing empty tables in Power Bi desktop

Hi

I have dataflow with in total 10 Entities on a Premium account.

I am having trouble with tables showing data in Dataflow but they are empty in Power Bi Desktop.

All marked with bold shows data in Power BI Desktop.

Entity1: loads and combines .xslx files from a Sharepoint folder. - currently 3 files about 9 mb in size each

Entity:2 Manually entered data

Entity3: load data from Excel sheet in Sharepoint folder and merge with Entity2

Entity4: Use Entity3 as reference and replace values and unpivot

Entity5: Use entity1 as Reference, merge with entity3 and make calculations

Entity6-9: Use entity1 as Reference, merge with entity3 and make calculations - Similar setup as Entity5 but with different calculations

Entity10: Combines Entity5-Entity9 - In Power Bi Desktop it is only showing data from Entity5.

In all entities I can see data in the Dataflow when editing in the Web.

• I have made sure that I have actually refreshed the data in the dataflow after saving.
  • I have tried to refresh in Power Bi Desktop
  • I have tried to remove permissions to Dataflow in Power BI Desktop and added it again.

I cannot figure why entity6-9 is somehow different from Entity5.

I am not getting any error messsage in either Power BI Desktop or Dataflow.

Can you help out?

Br

Jakob

8 REPLIES 8
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jskipper 

You might refer to these similar posts:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Data-flow-showing-empty-data/m-p/890971 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Getting-empty-tables-in-PowerBI-Desktop-when-loading-Datafl... 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Cannot-load-data-from-dataflow-to-Power-Bi-Desktop/m-p/8677... 

If still not help, please kindly raise it to the support team for better advice:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/ 

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Which error messages do you have under settings in the dataflow "refresh history"? 

Best,

KathrinDataflow Error.jpg

Sound like a weird problem... I used also Sharepoint and it works fine. Do you try to rebuild the dataflow? (probably already done)  Best, Kathrin

jskipper
Frequent Visitor

Yes. It is actually the rebuilt version as the other one did not refresh.

I have done a lot of trial and error with Dataflow and I must say that I feel the product is very inmature. In general in the development  I have had many different error messages. I think it is very frustrating that you can not simply copy and paste the code from Power BI Desktop and then it just works but there is always a need to make corrections. Mayde due to the flow is combining files from Sharepoint.

I am missing my great experience with Alteryx that is much faster and better to do data transformations. Unfortunately I do not have that option at the company I am at currently.

Fun Fact: there is a way you can actually copy and paste the code from power query advanced editor and put it into blank query in dataflow. XD But I don't know If this will solve your problem.

But I musst agree the dataflow is not conviniende - also the refresh of the report must triggered by a power automate.

Best,

Kathrin

jskipper
Frequent Visitor

I am aware that you copy code from PQ advanced editor becuase this is how I did it, but I copied the code bit by bit as I was getting all kinds of error messages if I toke the full code. I believe it would be much simpler to do if I did not have to combine files from a Sharepoint folder, which mean it was 3-4 additional queries to make that work.

jskipper
Frequent Visitor

I do not get an error message.

Data is also available when looking in the Dataflow.

Power BI_Refresh history.png

Thanks for sharing but I had already seen these threads but without any luck.

Br

Jakob

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors