Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jankwi_onl
Frequent Visitor

Dataflow returns only blank values using a on-premise SQL server with enterprise gateway

Hi all,
When I create a dataflow with a SQL server as datasource and a gateway, I do get records in the Power Query window while creating the dataflow. 
Dataflowissue1.JPG
When I save and refresh the dataflow I do not get any errors.
Dataflowissue3.JPG
I use PowerBI desktop to connect to the dataflow. But when I select the table, the preview returns only blank values for each column.
 Dataflowissue4.JPG
Strange enough the query is retrieving the correct number of records.
Dataflowissue5.JPG
Can anybody explain what might be the issue that all values are showing as blank values?
Dataflow returns only blank values using a on-premise SQL server with enterprise gateway.
When I only use a Blank Table as datasource with some testrecords in a dataflow, these data are visuable. As soon as I add a datasource using the gateway in the same dataflow, both entities will return blank values.

Thanks for your help in advance!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Well, after a couple of tries, I just thought.... Let's use another browser than Microsoft Edge....

And guess! Problem disappeared while using Chrome!

I did exact the same in Edge as in Chrome. Edge did behave exactly the same, no errors or exeptions. But somehow Edge does something with in the query window which causes the issue that data is not stored correct in PowerBI Service.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I have seen the behavior where in preview everything is blank but when you actually load the data it is there. Is that what you are seeing as well?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi Greg, unfortuntately, the records are blank after data load as well. Only with count, I can see that the correct number of records are returned. Thanks for your response.

Hi @Jankwi_onl ,

Do you use any query while connecting with SQL?Such as any aggregations or filtering?

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Hi Kelly, 

Thanks for responding. No, I do not use any aggrication or filtering. It's just a select on the full table.

Hi @Jankwi_onl

I‘ve checked many docs but unfortunately I cant find the reason,so pls try to clear your data source then reenter it:Annotation 2020-04-07 094342.pngAnnotation 2020-04-07 094858.png

If it doesnt work ,you'd better propose a support ticket.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Well, after a couple of tries, I just thought.... Let's use another browser than Microsoft Edge....

And guess! Problem disappeared while using Chrome!

I did exact the same in Edge as in Chrome. Edge did behave exactly the same, no errors or exeptions. But somehow Edge does something with in the query window which causes the issue that data is not stored correct in PowerBI Service.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors