Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mafl089
Regular Visitor

Dataflow refresh failing without details

Hi there,

I created a dataflow for OData URLs (of our Dynamics NAV 2013 R2 installation), connected to our Data Gateway.

First everything worked well, now the dataflow starts failing on refresh.

Its telling within the Error property of the error-csv:

Error: An error was read from the payload. See the 'Error' property for more details

I found some other posts with recommendations to log at the log of the Data Gateway.

There I can find very technical stacktraces, but they are so advanced that I cant get any information out of them, e.g.

DM.EnterpriseGateway Warning: 0 : 2020-01-17T15:21:05.4825619Z DM.EnterpriseGateway	87ecada4-a9d0-42f3-9efe-16a6cab093f4	b5cb13cf-bb9c-46ef-81df-af1dcc9788df	MGEQ	021f1c4e-6c16-c791-7ccf-0998ec57de7e	5805b198-3921-4fde-bb89-28e5ce184a19	7ca43daa-2e39-4ecb-9579-fcfb2be8f2a0	8CC204B7 [DM.GatewayCore] Swallowing exception during Ado query execution attempt for clientPipelineId, 5805b198-3921-4fde-bb89-28e5ce184a19 and triggering a retry: Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupValueException (0x80004005): An error was read from the payload. See the 'Error' property for more details.
   bei Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ProviderCommon.MashupResource.<>c__DisplayClass44_2`1.<StartEvaluationAndGetResultSource>b__0()
   bei Microsoft.Mashup.Security.Impersonation.RunAsProcessUser[T](Func`1 func)
   bei Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupCommand.EvaluateAndGetSource[T](String commandText, CommandType commandType, Int32 commandTimeout, MashupParameterCollection parameters, String resultTransform, Boolean forColumnInfo, Boolean executeAction)
   bei Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior commandBehavior, MashupCommandBehavior mashupCommandBehavior)
   bei Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.GatewayProcessorUtils.MashupExecuteReaderAsync(DbCommand command, ExecuteQueryRequest queryRequest, Guid activityId)
   bei Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.GatewayProcessor.<>c__DisplayClass3_3.<<ExecuteAdoQuery>b__2>d.MoveNext()
--- Ende der Stapelüberwachung vom vorhergehenden Ort, an dem die Ausnahme ausgelöst wurde ---
   bei System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   bei System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   bei Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayPipelineTelemetry.PipelineTelemetryService.<ExecuteInActivity>d__7`1.MoveNext()
--- Ende der Stapelüberwachung vom vorhergehenden Ort, an dem die Ausnahme ausgelöst wurde ---
   bei System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   bei Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.GatewayProcessor.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<<ExecuteAdoQuery>b__0>d.MoveNext()

There even more occurences of them, but...well...

Anybody has any tipps for me here?

Best & Thanks,

Matthias

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mafl089
Regular Visitor

I think I found the problem by my own.

I found some blog post (couldn't find the URL anymore) which pointed me into the direction of the default page size settings of Navision OData service. This is set to 1000 in Dynamics NAV 2013. And Power BI simply can't handle this pagination...(holy c***)...

So:

1. increased pages setting in NAV service on server + restarted service (Dynamics, not data gateway!)
  2. refresh query (Power BI Desktop test) + refresh dataflow => works

Something more like a bug than wanted behaviour, isn't it?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mafl089
Regular Visitor

I think I found the problem by my own.

I found some blog post (couldn't find the URL anymore) which pointed me into the direction of the default page size settings of Navision OData service. This is set to 1000 in Dynamics NAV 2013. And Power BI simply can't handle this pagination...(holy c***)...

So:

1. increased pages setting in NAV service on server + restarted service (Dynamics, not data gateway!)
  2. refresh query (Power BI Desktop test) + refresh dataflow => works

Something more like a bug than wanted behaviour, isn't it?

Hi @mafl089 ,

Glad to hear that you have resolved your problem. Thank you for sharing this wonderful solution, we have learned a lot from it. if you have any other questions about this scenario, please kindly ask here and we will try to resolve it.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mafl089 ,

Could you please try to reproduce this issue with the latest On-Premises Data Gateway? Have you tried to run this same query on Power BI Desktop to see if the query is working fine? What is the last time the query refresh success? Please also check the machine running this gateway can access the data source.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-lid-msft,

thanks for your reply.

Accessing the query in powerbi.com works, I do get data in the query and can add tasks / steps. Only the refresh of the entity fails.

When adding the Source directly in Power BI Desktop it is nearly the same: I see data and can edit it as well in the Query Editor, but when applying I get: 

ItemListe_Q
Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error] An error was read from the payload. See the 'Error' property for more details..
 '.

But I can't find anything within PowerBi Desktop to get more out of it, because there is no error before applying the Query and when Applying I get this error in an Popup.

We already have latest data gateway build installed and accessing the OData URL from data gateway server is checked.

Best,
Matthias

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors