Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gj81

Dataflow referencing 2 or more dataflows blocks the originals from refreshing

HI - I have a premium workspace with  5 seperate "Layer 1" ingestion dataflows bringing in data from an Azure data warehouse.  No ETL in the dataflows, just pure ingestion. 

I have then a single "Layer 2" ETL dataflow in the same workspace that links to all 5 tables, creates "reference" tables of each linked table, marks columns as Key columns, and thats it for now ( ultimately will merge them all, but thats off topic).  

The issue is that when I try to run schedule refreshes accross the 5  Layer 1s, one will run, but the others will fail due to Lock error message below.   If I delete the Layer 2 dataflow, everything refreshes no problem.    If I put the Layer 2 in another workspace, again everything will refresh no problem, however I would prefer not to seperate the full ETL into different workspaces. 

Error message : 

" There was a problem refreshing your dataflow. xxxx   "ErrorMessage":"Cannot acquire lock for model yyyy  because it is currently in use"

Is this an expected behaviour ?   If so, is there a workaround or proper best practice to setting up ETLs ?  If not, what can I do to troubleshoot ?   Its definitely the Layer 2 Dataflow causing the issue, I've tested deleting, refreshing, recreating multiple times with same outcome. 

Thanks,
Dave

2 REPLIES 2
gj81

Thanks for the reply, no I'm reasonably new .  Will google that now. 

edit - got the code, but unsure where I place it to stop the downstream dataflow from locking upstream ?

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Have you considered using Table.Buffer for better spooling isolation?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors