cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frano72
Helper IV
Helper IV

Dataflow incremental refresh datetime column driven by timezone selected in schedule refresh setting

I spent the best part of today trying to figure out why some computed entities were missing data.  I worked my way backwards and I think I found the issue.

I'd always assumed that the datetime value that you use for incremental refresh was to be in UTC.  Then over in the area where you schedule your dataflow refresh, you can choose a timezone - and I always figured that was for the benefit of the dataflow author to make it easy to visualise the time of data when they want it to run.

wrong (I think).

These two settings are linked.

The timezone that you use to schedule the refresh - specifies the timezone for the datetime value that use to incrementally refresh.

In my case, i'd always had my schedule in Brisbane time, and I'd always had my datetime column in UTC.

After I changed by schedule to be in UTC to match with the column I was using for incremental refresh - the missing data appeared.

I think this is a bit of a gothcha, as choosing the timezone to refresh - seems like a rather inocuous setting to just help with understanding time of day, NOT specifying the timezone of the field to refresh !

Ideally i'd like these to be separate - selecting timezone for refresh timing - selecting timezone of column used for inc refresh.

This is mentioned in microsoft article : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/dataflows/incremental-refresh

Dataflow incremental refresh determines dates according to the following logic: if a refresh is scheduled, incremental refresh for dataflows uses the time zone defined in the refresh policy. If no schedule for refreshing exists, incremental refresh uses the time from the computer running the refresh.

2021-10-18_17-37-23.jpg

1 REPLY 1
v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @frano72 

Thank you for sharing, it will definitely benefit other users who might have the same situation.
If you allow, you can mark this case as answered so that other people will find your post more quickly.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Zeon Zheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

charticulator_carousel_with_text (1).png

Charticulator Design Challenge

Put your data visualization and design skills to the test! This exciting challenge is happening now through May 31st!

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Power BI Dev Camp Session 22 768x460.jpg

Check it out!

Mark your calendars and join us on Thursday, May 26 at 11a PDT for a great session with Ted Pattison!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors