Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dataflow incremental load behaviour

Hello,

I am working on a requirement to snapshot some data ona weekly basis for Power BI usage.

I tried a solution using Incremental load I have a query with the following logic:

Select ItemCategory, Quantity, GetDate() as SnapshotDate

From MyTable

And I then set incremental loading in my flow baed on the SnapshotDate

-Storing 10 years of data

-Refreshing only last day.

My understanding was that when refreshing this dataflow every few days, the previously extracted data would not be affected (as it is out of the date range, and data would be appended.

What am I missing there ? I could not find in-depths explaination on Incremental refresh that could explain this.

MartinPBI_0-1627874995948.png

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I think this documentation explains it pretty well.

Using incremental refresh with dataflows | Microsoft Docs

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did read the documentation, from my understanding, when my second reload takes place, the data from my first reload should be in partitions between the rolling window tail and the incremental tail, and thus, not affected by the reload. I do not understand why this data is affected and replaced on later reloads

MartinPBI_1-1628042362666.png

It may be impacted because the actual partitions are controlled by the Azure service and they are set to "normal" calendar boundaries - days, months, quarters, years. Note that there are no weeks!

So if your incremental window is "two weeks" today it will impact four day partitions and one month partition.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors