Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NetJer20
Frequent Visitor

Dataflow import into Pwr BI Desktop

I am trying to use dataflows as a source in a dataset/report and am having confusing problems. Background: I have a dataflow with 4 entities - which are based on Synapse views and spark tables. I am trying to test if dataflows would be a good use case for this collection of data, including one table/set that is 197m rows. Not huge by any means - but I'm running into something I did not expect with dataflows.

My problem is that in Power BI desktop, when I am creating the dataset, it seems to be trying to import the WHOLE dataflow/entity when I query it, with a filter. My large entity in my dataflow (the 197m row one) - I select it in Power Query in my dataset, apply a filter to a column (used an Id that had one row in the base source table of the dataflow) and clicked close/apply. Its now running and pulling gigabytes of data, even though it should just be pulling one row from the dataflow.

Am I misunderstanding dataflows? Does Power BI desktop import the whole entity chosen from the dataflow and THEN filter it?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @NetJer20 

Microsoft  has  announced Direct Query Support (in preview) for Power BI Dataflows.

As mentioned by @J0S3PH ,with this functionality in place, Power BI users no longer need to import the data into a dataset first, instead can connect directly to a dataflow.

In order to use this capability, you should be a premium Power BI user.Enable the enhanced compute engine on your premium plan and refresh the dataflow before it can be consumed in Direct Query mode.

For more details, please refer to this document.

Use DirectQuery with dataflows in Power BI (preview) 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

View solution in original post

Hi, @NetJer20 

Yes, any premium capacity would make this capability availible.

service-premium-per-user-faq 

16.png

Best Regards,

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @NetJer20 

Microsoft  has  announced Direct Query Support (in preview) for Power BI Dataflows.

As mentioned by @J0S3PH ,with this functionality in place, Power BI users no longer need to import the data into a dataset first, instead can connect directly to a dataflow.

In order to use this capability, you should be a premium Power BI user.Enable the enhanced compute engine on your premium plan and refresh the dataflow before it can be consumed in Direct Query mode.

For more details, please refer to this document.

Use DirectQuery with dataflows in Power BI (preview) 

Best Regards,

Thank you @v-easonf-msft

I assume any premium capacity would make this capability availible? I have this workspace as part of our A3 embed premium capacity - or is it only availible to premium-per user?

Hi, @NetJer20 

Yes, any premium capacity would make this capability availible.

service-premium-per-user-faq 

16.png

Best Regards,

J0S3PH

Hi - When using import I believe PBI must first read the data in before it can apply the filter. Is your dataflow in a WorkSpace backed by Premium Capacity? If so you could look at enabling the advanced compute engine and utilise direct query. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors