cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andrewbrick Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Dataflow from Azure SQL Data Warehouse requires On-Prem Gateway?

My org recently set up an Azure SQL Data Warehouse.  I can connect to it from Power BI Desktop, get data, publish, and view the data in the report in the service -- everything works great.  Now I'm testing creating a dataflow from this same Azure SQL Data Warehouse, but I can't connect to the warehouse from the service.  After clicking on "+ Create" > "Dataflow" and selecting "Azure SQL Data Warehouse", the connection page is asking for an on-prem gateway, and there are no options to use OAuth2 or any other authentication.  Why is this?

I've tried to just go forward using the same credentials I used to connect to the warehouse from Desktop, but the service gives me this error:

An exception occurred: DataSource.Error: Microsoft SQL: Cannot open server "myorgsserver.com" requested by the login. The login failed. (Session ID: 53f7a888-910a-4aa6-9184-95fa261bd435)

For the published report that grabbed data from the warehouse, I'm able to configure the dataset in the service (with credentials) and refresh.  This is true for both DirectQuery and Import methods of grabbing the data.  The workspace is in a premium capacity.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Regular Visitor

Re: Dataflow from Azure SQL Data Warehouse requires On-Prem Gateway?

Ok, now, about 9 hours later, it inexplicably works.

1 REPLY 1
Regular Visitor

Re: Dataflow from Azure SQL Data Warehouse requires On-Prem Gateway?

Ok, now, about 9 hours later, it inexplicably works.

Helpful resources

Announcements
GregDeckler

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Power BI Super User, Greg Deckler, explains

Summit North America

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Back to School Contest

Back to School Contest

Engage and empower students with Power BI!

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Top Ideas
Users Online
Currently online: 52 members 1,254 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: