Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dataflow connection to Power BI Desktop

Hi,

I am new to dataflow and running into some odd issues that really needs some solutions!

I created a dataflow to connect the Postgre SQL database, then connecting that dataflow in Power BI Desktop as the data source.
I am able to see the data that I needed in the dataflow, but once I connect it to the Power BI Desktop, I am only able to reach the incompleted dataset.
Please provide some insights! Thank you in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

First thing to try...

If you go back into the workspace and find the dataflow

Check what it says on "Refreshed". 

bcdobbs_1-1642192400238.png

If it's blank then click the refresh button. Otherwise click the three dots and see what "Refresh History" has to say.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @bcdobbs ,

Thank you for your response. Yes, the data flow shows as "Refreshed". Also, it is scheduled refreshed daily, and it's working well all the time.
However, please see the below example for my further explanation.
Tables in data flow refreshed my transaction details daily, the incomplete dataset in the Power BI Desktop only affects those transactions that happened most recently.
In this example, on 1/1/2021, transaction lines #5 and #6 is not showing in power bi desktop but dataflow. Later on, on 1/2/2021, the missing data on 1/1/2021 WILL BE populated. Similarly, some data in 1/2/2021 will not show till the next day, and so on.

explain.PNG

Thank you!

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

In your model, a Dataset is being fed through the Dataflow, therefore a Dataset won't be updated until the Dataflow is updated and an order is given right after to the dataset to start updating.

Example : let's say you scheduled to refresh the Dataflow at 3:00 pm and you know that it will take up to 30 mins for it to refresh then you will need to schedule the Dataset refresh at 3:30pm. this way the dataset is also up-to-date.

it is a commun mistake when people uses Dataflows, so go back back and check the Timing's schedule of both Dataset and Dataflow

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @aj1973 

Thanks for the response! Yes! Your explanation totally makes sense and I think that is exactly the issue that I am encountering.

However, do you know if there are any ways that I am able to track how long does it take to refresh my dataset after dataflow is refreshed?
I am trying to calculate the interval between the scheduled refresh of the two 🙂

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

Go There

aj1973_1-1642296178914.png

Though you should better know how long it takes for the Dataflow to refresh rather than the Dataset. Remember it is the Dataflow that feeds the Dataset and not the opposite.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

@Anonymous on the power bi side where are you seeing the data. Is it a visual or the data view? 

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @bcdobbs , 

I checked both visual as well as the data view. Unfortunately, they both do not have the completed dataset.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors