Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dataflow - Unable to combine data, references other queries or steps

Fix one problem, uncover another...

I have a query I am running in a dataflow.  Basically, trying to use a parameter and function to pull a bunch of different segments of data from Adobe Analytics.  Source of Segment IDs is an excel sheet on SharePoint.  

The query all runs fine in the query editor, however after saving and trying to refresh the dataflow it fails with the following error:

[Unable to combine data] Section1/Campaign Visits/Changed column type 1 references other queries or steps so it may not directly access a data source. Please rebuild this data combination.

While googling the error, I've found posts that both recommend splitting out into two queries and others with the same error where people already have two queries and it recommends merging them.  I've tried a bunch of different combinations but at this point I'm confused and need help pulling the problem apart.

This is my main query (which I have tried splitting at various points):

let
  Source = SharePoint.Files("https://mysite.sharepoint.com/sites/MarketingTeam", [ApiVersion = 15]),
  #"Filtered rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each [Folder Path] = "https://mysite.sharepoint.com/sites/MarketingTeam/Data Vault/Web Pages and Segments/" and [Name] = "Campaign Web Pages and Segments.xlsx"),
  #"Filtered hidden files" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filtered rows", each [Attributes]?[Hidden]? <> true),
  #"Invoke custom function" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered hidden files", "Transform file", each #"Transform file"([Content])),
  #"Renamed columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Invoke custom function", {{"Name", "Source.Name"}}),
  #"Removed other columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed columns", {"Source.Name", "Transform file"}),
  #"Expanded table column" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed other columns", "Transform file", Table.ColumnNames(#"Transform file"(#"Sample file"))),
  #"Changed column type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded table column", {{"Source.Name", type text}, {"Segment Name", type text}, {"Segment ID", type text}, {"Campaign ID", type text}}),
  #"Removed columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed column type", {"Source.Name"}),
  #"Invoked custom function" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed columns", "Custom", each GetCampaignSegmentIDs([Segment ID])),
  #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Invoked custom function", "Custom", {"URL", "Visits", "Page Views", "Bounces", "Engaged Visits", "Marketing Channel", "Date"}, {"URL", "Visits", "Page Views", "Bounces", "Engaged Visits", "Marketing Channel", "Date"}),
  #"Changed column type 1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Custom", {{"Date", type date}, {"Marketing Channel", type text}, {"URL", type text}, {"Page Views", Int64.Type}, {"Visits", Int64.Type}, {"Bounces", Int64.Type}, {"Engaged Visits", Int64.Type}})
in
  #"Changed column type 1"

7 REPLIES 7
QueryWhiz
Helper V
Helper V

Hi, were you able to find a solution? I used the Adobe native connector but I had some issues with my connection sometimes. As a workaround, maybe you can try using a 3rd party connector. I've tried windsor.ai , supemetrics and funnel.io. I stayed with windsor because it is much cheaper so just to let you know other options. In case you wonder,  to make the connection first search for the Adobe connector in the data sources list:

ADOBE-1.png

Then, you should enter your Adobe credentials to make the connection. After that, you'll see a preview of your data where you can select the fields you want to see in PBI. 

ADOBE-2.png

Finally, you just have to choose PBI as destination and copy and paste the url that will appear there in PBI desktop --> Get Data --Web > --> Paste the link

SELECT_DESTINATION_NEW.png

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous ,

Has your problem been solved, if so, please consider Accept a correct reply as the solution or share your own solution to help others find it.

Best Regards
Lucien

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Read the following article,similar questions:

Power Query Errors: Please Rebuild This Data Combination

Formula.Firewall: Query references other queries, so it may not directly access a data source.

Wish it is helpful for you!

Best Regards

Lucien

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I tried that already (as linked in my original post) - no joy.

jeffshieldsdev
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Have you tried going to Project Options in the dataflow and checking (something like) allow combine data from multiple sources?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you guide me to where I can find the Project Options?  Cant see it anywhere.

jeffshieldsdev_0-1626352277271.png

jeffshieldsdev_1-1626352285620.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors