Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SteveD2
Resolver I
Resolver I

Dataflow: Trouble with uploading Excel files and folders

Hi,

I've seen an increase in the discussion on the use of Dataflow so, I thought I would give it a try with what I thought would be simple examples of importing an excel file and a folder to see what it's like. The first problem I found is although I worked out that a gateway is required, it has to be the On-premises version and not the personal gateway... the documentation on this really needs to be improved.

The next issue I face is now connecting to the file through the gateway. No matter what I've tried, I continue to get this error.

SteveD2_0-1572388547686.png

Suggestions on what I'm doing wrong would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SteveD2
Resolver I
Resolver I

Ok, I found out how to do this through some trial and error. For those that may be interested, here's how you access files on your PC using Dataflow.

1. Download Power BI Gateway and install using the "On-Premises" version.
  2. Sign in to the On-Premises Gateway using your windows username and password (not your Power BI/O365 credentials)
  3. In the Power BI Service, navigate to the workspace where you want to create a Dataflow and create a new entity.eg Create\New Entity\Excel file.
  4. Make sure your data source resides on your PC. Dataflow won't accept a sync/online version of a file or folder. If using Onedrive make sure the file is marked as "Always keep on this device". and;
  5. Select your gateway and enter your windows username and password as per your windows account.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
SteveD2
Resolver I
Resolver I

Ok, I found out how to do this through some trial and error. For those that may be interested, here's how you access files on your PC using Dataflow.

1. Download Power BI Gateway and install using the "On-Premises" version.
  2. Sign in to the On-Premises Gateway using your windows username and password (not your Power BI/O365 credentials)
  3. In the Power BI Service, navigate to the workspace where you want to create a Dataflow and create a new entity.eg Create\New Entity\Excel file.
  4. Make sure your data source resides on your PC. Dataflow won't accept a sync/online version of a file or folder. If using Onedrive make sure the file is marked as "Always keep on this device". and;
  5. Select your gateway and enter your windows username and password as per your windows account.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors