cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Dataflow Timeout

Thanks for reply. I take that approach with every entity I build, create in desktop then lift and shift the query from advanced editor.

Interestingly I tried to save my entity again after-hours and it worked a treat, so guessing some kind of memory/capacity thing?

I work for a global company and I'm based in UK I was trying to get this done at 2pm today, just as our friends across the pond come online. I had success at 6pm
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue, I have been searching for a solution for the past week.

When trying to refresh a dataflow of small size it is always succesful, but when the size gets bigger it fails in 4 or 6 minutes ( exactly) which makes me think it is a timeout setting.

I don't know where to address this issue and get an actual answer.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Same issue here.... if I paste M code from advanced editor, sometimes it works when I save & close, and sometimes it still fails saying i have a query error.  The error is that the query timed out.

Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

@RBuntingHow are you managing to download such huge dataset to your Desktop? I still dont understand why PowerBI Desktop needs to download the entire Dataflow into the desktop application. I am talking about 10s of GBs of data. Make no sense.

Power BI -Dataflow.PNG
Power BI -Dataflow-error.PNG
@v-yuta-msft 
I tried to highlight some of the issues with Dataflow in y post here, but there is ablsutely no response ! My whole Org was couting on using Dataflow for enterprise level ETL.
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Dataflow-Dataset-NEED-more-Clarity/td-p/735330

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

@SamRockI think there's been some misunderstanding.  I am loading about 10 million rows, but that's not anything like 10s of Gigs.

The problem in my case is that it simply takes time for SQL Server to pull those records out of the large table.  If they are in a table by themselves they load easily.  It's not a matter of size -- I just wish the Dataflow's time-out when loading the preview would be more generous, or be managed manually.  

To avoid this problem, I build the M code in Desktop since it's an easier environment to work in.  But I don't load any of that data into Desktop's model.  I only want the code out of power query.  Then I paste that into the Dataflow's advanced editor.  

At this point, waiting for the preview would create a time-out error.  So I don't wait.  I just save and close, confident from my preview in desktop that I'm getting the data I need.  Naturally, I'll do some QA on the dataflow once it's properly loaded.

Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

Got it. So you are still in the first stage of frustation.
Once the dataflow is loaded, you will experience what I am going through! Having to load the complete data to desktop in my case its 54M rows! 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Come join us today! Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Upcoming Events

Experience what’s next for Power BI

See the latest Power BI innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!.

Top Solution Authors