Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chrispybacon
Helper I
Helper I

Dataflow On-Premise Gateway for CSVs

Hi  all Robot Happy

I currently have a dataset which consits of a number of CSVs that all together are around 2GB. The plaform where they orginate from has no connection available to Power BI. At the moment I am using the "Folder" data source to "Combine & Transform" all the CSVs -  still all on Desktop. 

In the future we would like to build more than one report on that dataset, which is why I am considering a dataflow. We have a few Premium capacities that these reports could be hosted on.

So my Question is: 
Could I set up a sheduled refresh to that set of CSVs via an On-Premuse Data gateway in a Dataflow, combining all the CSVs in the process? The CSVs would be put on a network drive. I saw that Dataflow supports Text/CSV. 

Use cases of Dataflows are still a bit scarce. Has anybody have had a similar scenario?

Best regards,
Christian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @chrispybacon ,

AFAIK, online data source not requirement gateway to handle refresh, you can try to set 'gateway' option to 'null' or turn on 'handle cloudy datasource' option on your gateway side.

Merge or append on-premises and cloud data sources 

What type of networks drives your mean? Can you please sahre some detail information to hlep us clarify this?

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly  

Obviously, power bi still not support some of the network drives. (e..g third party credentials verification, redirect when access source URL, additional device require when getting data...)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @chrispybacon ,

AFAIK, online data source not requirement gateway to handle refresh, you can try to set 'gateway' option to 'null' or turn on 'handle cloudy datasource' option on your gateway side.

Merge or append on-premises and cloud data sources 

What type of networks drives your mean? Can you please sahre some detail information to hlep us clarify this?

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly  

Obviously, power bi still not support some of the network drives. (e..g third party credentials verification, redirect when access source URL, additional device require when getting data...)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hello, 

in the end we were able to resolve this issue by building a custom connector. So this topic was resolved.

I wanted to orginally know whether it is possible to set up a gateway that uses a Windows login to access a network drive. 

Best regards,

Christian

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors