Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vijaykj09
Frequent Visitor

Dataflow ID's - How to fetch dataflow Id's using dataflow names ( sync test and prod dataflows)

Hi All,

I have created two dataflows 1) test 2) prod and created a reports using prod dataflow. it's all working fine. 

But, I made few changes to test dataflows (added new columns to existing entities & new entities). In order to sync test and prod dataflow, I have deleted the previous prod dataflow and exported the test dataflow as JSON file and imported JSON file as new prod dataflow (renamed to original name as it was eariler). I have noticed dataflow id got changed and my old report is not working as dataflow id got changed. 

1) Is there any way to sync test and prod dataflow without changing the dataflow id's after making changes/updates in test dataflows. So that, we don't need to update the reports/datasets which reference the data flow id's. 

or 

2) Is there any way to call dataflow id's by logical name in reports editor

For example: Dataflows

DataflowsID's 
123 test qqqq-de1a-000-tyyyy-xxxxxx
123 prod 00000-de1a-000-tyyyy-pppppp

Report editor: 

current code

let
Source = PowerBI.Dataflows(null),
#"00-000-0000" = #"00-00-0000"{[dataflowId="00000-de1a-000-tyyyy-pppppp"]}[Data],
in

Expected output

let
#"00-000-0000" = #"00-00-0000"{[dataflowId= "function or parameter to call "123 prod" dataflow id dynamically "]}[Data],
in

Regards,

Vijay

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Yechiel
Employee
Employee

Yuo can use dataflowName instead of dataflowId:

let
Q1 = Source{[workspaceId="4594d842-dbff-4606-a56a-e03f931fbbf5"]}[Data],
Q2 = Q1{[dataflowName="DFName"]}[Data],
Query1 = Q2{[entity="Query"]}[Data]
in
Query1

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
agusmba
Advocate II
Advocate II

You don't need to complicate things now that dataflows are supported in pipelines. If you follow normal deployment practices, your dataflows will behave as expected (automatically linked to their own related dataflows in each deployment environment).

Yechiel
Employee
Employee

Yuo can use dataflowName instead of dataflowId:

let
Q1 = Source{[workspaceId="4594d842-dbff-4606-a56a-e03f931fbbf5"]}[Data],
Q2 = Q1{[dataflowName="DFName"]}[Data],
Query1 = Q2{[entity="Query"]}[Data]
in
Query1

vijaykj09
Frequent Visitor

Hi All,

I have created two dataflows 1) test 2) prod and created a reports using prod dataflow. it's all working fine. 

But, I made few changes to test dataflows (added new columns to existing entities & new entities). In order to sync test and prod dataflow, I have deleted the previous prod dataflow and exported the test dataflow as JSON file and imported JSON file as new prod dataflow (renamed to original name as it was eariler). I have noticied dataflow id got changed and my old report is not working as dataflow id got changed. 

1) Is there any way to sync test and prod dataflow without changing the dataflow id's after making changes/updates in test dataflows. So that, we don't need to update the reports/datasets which reference the data flow id's. 

or 

2) Is there any way to call dataflow id's by logical name in reports editor

For example: Dataflows

DataflowsID's 
123 test qqqq-de1a-000-tyyyy-xxxxxx
123 prod 00000-de1a-000-tyyyy-pppppp

Report editor: 

current code

let
#"00-000-0000" = #"00-00-0000"{[dataflowId="00000-de1a-000-tyyyy-pppppp"]}[Data],
in

Expected output

let
#"00-000-0000" = #"00-00-0000"{[dataflowId= "function or parameter to call "123 prod" dataflow id dynamically "]}[Data],
in

Regards,

Vijay

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vijaykj09 ,

You may refer to the links:

Dataflows - Get Dataflow Data Sources

Creating and using dataflows in Power BI

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

either use service parameters or (if covered by your license) deployment pipelines.

dataflows are not supported currently in deployment pipelines. even if it does, dataflow id's will get change. 

Is there any way to fetch dataflow id's using dataflow name ? so that, I will parameterise the dataflow id's using dataflows name. 

did you find a solution to this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors