Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

hackfifi
Helper V
Helper V

Dataflow Date Format Issue

I am trying to move all my queries from PowerBI Desktop to a Dataflow; and copying/pasting the code from Advance Editor into the Dataflow PowerQuery interface.

I am having an issue with the "date format". The PowerBI Desktop when importing the excel file, shows the date format correctly as DD-MMM-YY (ever prior to the "change type" step). But in the dataflow, the step right after the "navigation", shows the format of the cell as MMM-DD-YY.  This is causing issues for all my queries which have a "date" column. What is odd is that the datatype is shown in this format even prior to the "change type" step
i have shown the below POWER QUERY screenshot showing POWERBI DESKOP vs POWERBI DATA FLOW

Essentially i need the dataflow query to read exactly how the data is in the source file i.e. dd-mmm-y 

DATAFLOW ISSUE.JPG

2 REPLIES 2
Alirezam
Helper V
Helper V

Unfortunately, it looks like there is no way converting them to UK format and I suggest you keep them as text (do not change them to DATE in data flow) and change the type after importing them into your report/power query on-premise. I have read in another post that they are fixing the issue but have not seen any update.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @hackfifi,

In fact, they only change the display format, they do not affect the source data values.
Power query online edit has correct recognize these values and convert them to date, then it has format these value style to display based on your service languages region. (you can change the power bi service language setting to keep the raw data region formats)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors