Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bi2thelly
Helper I
Helper I

Dataflow Converting List back into a Table

I'm new at creating Dataflows and I'm running into an issue where if I try to filter a table off of a column (TableA[Column1]) from another table the query will timeout. However, if I run the same query but reference an actual entity that is a List (ListA). I need the list to be dynamic so when I update the table in Sharepoint it will update here as well. I've used the following syntax:

Works good:

OptA: Table.SelectRows(#"Navigation 1", each List.Contains(ListA, [ID]) = true)

OptB: Table.SelectRows(#"Navigation 1", each (List.Contains(ListA, [ID]) = true)) -- works but much slower

Does not work (timesout): 

Opt1: Table.SelectRows(#"Navigation 1", each List.Contains(TableA[Column1], [ID]) = true)

Opt2: Table.SelectRows(#"Navigation 1", each (List.Contains(TableA[Column1], [ID]) = true))

Opt3: Table.SelectRows(#"Navigation 1", each (List.Contains(TableA[Column1], [ID])))

Opt4: Table.SelectRows(#"Navigation 1", each List.Contains(TableA[Column1], [ID]))

So I have been trying to turn TableA[Column1] into an actual List and in Power Bi desktop it will allow me to do so BUT in Power Query online with the Dataflow, everytime I turn the column into a list, Power query then converts back into a table. I need to be able to convert TableA[Column1] to a list or somehow to be able to filter another table by that column so it can be dynamic. I also tried to merge but that timesout as well.

Any ideas to get around this?

Bi2thelly_0-1632933996924.png

5 REPLIES 5
Mogsetsu

In case anyone else stumbles into this. I had the same issue of the dataflow converting my list to a table. I was able to prevent this by right-clicking the query and unchecking "Enable Load".

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

When you convert the table column into a list, is the table a single column table at that time or does it have other columns too?  If the latter then it might be worth trying to change TableA into a single column table before converting it into a list.

I think you should raise a bug/issue report, this seems to be silly behavior (like a lot of the steps that the online Power Query editor is adding for no good reason).

How do you raise an issue?

It is a single column.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors