Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

daamruth
Helper II
Helper II

Dataflow: Cannot be added to gateway. Used in dataset.

Hi community, 

we have setup a dataset which gets it's data from an onPrem SQL. 

It contains facts and master data. 

We then decided to put the master data in a dataflow (same WS) and import the master data from there. 

It works in Power BI Desktop and I can manually refresh the dataset in the service but I cannot setup a scheduled refresh. 

Furthermore when going to the gateway connections on that DS I now have a new "datasource" which I cannot map to the gateway: 

Extension{"extensionDataSourceKind":"PowerBI","extensionDataSourcePath":"PowerBI"} : 

Cannot be added to gateway This must be the connection to the DF because when I delete my imports in PBI Desktop and upload again this new connection is gone and I can refresh again.  2021-10-14 19_14_24-Power BI.png Furthermore all tables in the DF are of table type "pending validation".  2021-10-14 19_17_02-Power BI.png Can anybody help me out here?  Thanks a lot Daniel 

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

"We then decided to put the master data in a dataflow (same WS) and import the master data from there. " 

Please explain the rationale for that decision. Assuming you use an import mode dataset and a sufficiently fast SQL server there shouldn't really be a need for a dataflow. Remember that dataflows are basically blob storage, pretty much the opposite of what you have with your SQL source.

Hi @lbendlin , 

my goal is to reuse the "dimension" in other datasets as well. Isn't that one of the aspects? 

You are though right about the fact, that I could use it directly from SQL. I thought it might be an approach to centralize master data and also offer it to other apps via this cloud service as well (don't yet know how, tough :)). 

Furthermore we might switch from SQL to Snowflake or Azure in the next years. In that case the FD could serve as abstraction layer in between these platforms so the interface towards PBI stays stable. 

Makes sense? 

Daniel 

Stick with datasets.  Reserve dataflows for data sources that don't play well in the area of query performance and throughput.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors