Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MiguelAAragones

Database connection without the need for a gateway

I have a report which is connected to two databases, in my Power BI Services it has correctly inserted the connection data but I wonder if it can be updated automatically without the need for a local gateway (my computer or server)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @MiguelAAragones ,

You can check the following documentation to see if your datasource needs a gateway.

vyangliumsft_0-1664328283684.png

Power BI data sources - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If your data source is using a local data source, a Gateway connection is required.

If your data sources are using data sources in the cloud, a Gateway connection is not required, but you can manage the configuration of these data sources by using the Data source credentials section in the dataset settings.

vyangliumsft_1-1664328283689.png

If your data sources use data sources from local and cloud, a gateway is also required, and you need to Enable the checkbox Allow user's cloud data sources to refresh through this gateway cluster.

vyangliumsft_2-1664328283692.png

For specific details, you can refer to:

Data refresh in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @MiguelAAragones ,

You can check the following documentation to see if your datasource needs a gateway.

vyangliumsft_0-1664328283684.png

Power BI data sources - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If your data source is using a local data source, a Gateway connection is required.

If your data sources are using data sources in the cloud, a Gateway connection is not required, but you can manage the configuration of these data sources by using the Data source credentials section in the dataset settings.

vyangliumsft_1-1664328283689.png

If your data sources use data sources from local and cloud, a gateway is also required, and you need to Enable the checkbox Allow user's cloud data sources to refresh through this gateway cluster.

vyangliumsft_2-1664328283692.png

For specific details, you can refer to:

Data refresh in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors