Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Database Permission Security

Hello Power BI Community,

As an organization, we internally share Power BI dashboards through the online service. However, as a content creator and database admin, I am cautious about the permissions available when a Power BI file is downloaded. When the file is opened in Desktop you can see the Server, Database Name, and Tables. Is there any way for a user to access the saved permissions (user and pass) on the file? The password is obfuscated when I look at the database permissions, but I wanted to be sure. We have set these permissions for "read-only", so it is not a large concern, I just wanted to know the extent of user access.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

For import way, the user can download the report as a pbix and can view the content on their machine. However, They cannot refresh the data and edit the data in your datasouce. So the concern is not necessary here.

For direct query/live connection, the users can save the report as a pbix. But they cannot open the file.

dq.PNG

BTW, Please refer to the online document to know about power bi security.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

For import way, the user can download the report as a pbix and can view the content on their machine. However, They cannot refresh the data and edit the data in your datasouce. So the concern is not necessary here.

For direct query/live connection, the users can save the report as a pbix. But they cannot open the file.

dq.PNG

BTW, Please refer to the online document to know about power bi security.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors