Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Pappy54

DataSource.Error: Cdm failed to generate manifest

We are using Azure Data Lake Gen 2 and have been able to successfully create dataflows to the powerbi folder in Azure.  We are trying to create a dataflow from Power BI that reads the default.manifest.cdm.json per the instuctions.  The Power BI connection works but when the Power Query form opens, we get the following error message.  

DataSource.Error: Cdm failed to generate manifest. Folder path: '/powerbi/', file name: 'default.manifest.cdm.json'

I have searched for hours for a blog, video, or instructions on this topic but thus far have not found any solutions.   

Help!

3 REPLIES 3
cobrow
Regular Visitor

Reproduced the error and identified the necessary permissions required for the model.json to be read by Power BI Desktop.  Highlighting the minimum permissions and common errors if the permissions are not assigned.

Permissions Needed:

• Reader role on Storage Account
  • Storage Blob Data Contributor on Storage Account
  • Read & Execute permissions on the Folder

Common Errors:

• Reader Role on Storage Account
  • Read on Folder

cobrow_2-1659049224981.png

• Read & Execute permission on folder

cobrow_3-1659049225007.png

• Storage Blob Data Reader (or Storage Blob Data Contributor)

cobrow_4-1659049243193.png

v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Pappy54 ,

Has your problem been solved? If it is solved, please mark a reply which is helpful to you.

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Pappy54 ,

Currently, in Power Query Online, the Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2 connector only supports paths with container, and not subfolder or file. For example, https://<accountname>.dfs.core.windows.net/<container> will work, while https://<accountname>.dfs.core.windows.net/<container>/<filename> will fail.

And I find some articles, please see if they are helpful:

Cannot create a dataflow from CDM folders in ADLS Gen2 

Unable to read CDM default.manifest.cdm.json 

The Common Data Model in Azure Data Lake Storage – Power BI Dataflows 

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Winniz

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors