cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
egomezcaro
Frequent Visitor

DataFormat.Error: We couldn't parse the input provided as a DateTime value.

Hi there!

 

I am having following problem when I bring data from PBI dataflows:

 

1. I've created a dataflow and a linked table inside from an existing dataflow which have some date columns (format mm/dd/yyyy). This is my bronze layer with raw data:

 

egomezcaro_1-1644312648037.png

 

2. When a create my silver layer dataflow to transform the data, I create a linked table to my bronce dataflow. The linked table should be the same since I've not transform the data yet, but see the following snapshot:

 

egomezcaro_3-1644312952886.png

 

egomezcaro_2-1644312908936.png

It seems the format is modified to dd/mm/yyyy and throws an error it cannot be parsed. I've tried change the data type using locale but not working. Any thoughts?

 

Thanks

 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Ailsa-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @egomezcaro 

The date format for your original is “mm/dd/yyyy” and everything seems normal . When you create a linked table to your bronce dataflow , the date format appears to be converted to “dd/mm/yyyy” , but in fact it is still "mm/dd/yyyy" , in the case where the day and month positions are converted, but the format is not converted, once the number of day is greater than 12, an error will occur, because there are only 12 months in a year.

Ailsamsft_0-1644551460038.png
Ailsamsft_1-1644551460040.png

You can use Replace value in Power Query Editor to change the day and month positions and then change the date format .

 

Best Regard

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
NorfolkDumpling
Frequent Visitor

I had something very similar with a Date Lookup I had set up in a dataflow in one workspace.

In another workspace I'd created another dataflow and then linked to the Date Lookup entity from there. When I created a report, a lot of the dates were showing as <error> where the dates were obviously trying to convert English dates to American format and failing. 

It took me a little while to realise that the source dataflow was set to English (United Kingdom) and the target was English (United States). I changed it in Options | Project Options and was fine then.




Ailsa-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @egomezcaro 

The date format for your original is “mm/dd/yyyy” and everything seems normal . When you create a linked table to your bronce dataflow , the date format appears to be converted to “dd/mm/yyyy” , but in fact it is still "mm/dd/yyyy" , in the case where the day and month positions are converted, but the format is not converted, once the number of day is greater than 12, an error will occur, because there are only 12 months in a year.

Ailsamsft_0-1644551460038.png
Ailsamsft_1-1644551460040.png

You can use Replace value in Power Query Editor to change the day and month positions and then change the date format .

 

Best Regard

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
November 2022 Update

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the November 2022 updates!

Difinity Conference

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity is the largest Microsoft Data, AI, Power BI, Power Platform and Business Applications Conference in New Zealand.

European Share Point Conference

European Share Point Conference

This conference returns live and in-person in Copenhagen this 28 November-01 December with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Microsoft 365 Conference â__ December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference - 06-08 December

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Top Solution Authors