Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

philosopher
Frequent Visitor

DataFlow timeouts

Hi all, I hope someone can shed some light here.

It's been a week since most of our Dataflows fail to refresh with timeout, after 2 hours.

It's not a database timeout issue, as someone would guess.

I have monitored database traffic, queries run as expected, they end normally, but the calling DataFlow continues to run until it fails with timeout.

We're seriously considering switching off DataFlows, although it seemed like a great feature.

We have our production down for a week now, I have to do something else rather than looking at them fail every day.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @philosopher ,

Engineering team have fixed the Power BI Known issue : Some Dataflow refresh fails with timeout error when enhanced compute engine is turned on for dataflow workload. Please check.

Best Regards,
Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you disable the enhanced  compute engine? Is it available on Pro version? I have same issue, my workflow is connected to an SQL server using On Prem gateway.

@Anonymous - go into the settings on your dataflow and there is a section in there for compute engine settings.

2020-11-25_16-17-55.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @frano72 for the instruction.

However the buttons are disabled and I can't change the settings.

MushedRoom_0-1606377055646.png

Any idea? Thank you

Enhanced Dataflow Compute Engine is a Premium feature.

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @philosopher ,

Engineering team have fixed the Power BI Known issue : Some Dataflow refresh fails with timeout error when enhanced compute engine is turned on for dataflow workload. Please check.

Best Regards,
Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

JaneLHunt
Helper II
Helper II

Hello

I raised a support call with Microsoft as some of our dataflows on Premium  had started to error with Param1 = Execution Timeout Expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.  (One of the dataflows had this error, even though it was not a computed entity and it ran successfully outside of Premium).
Response from Microsoft:
This known issue is very recent but I've engaged the Engineering team and they are already working on a fix for this issue.  The timeline for the fix should be the end of the next week.  Hence, we believe that by November 18th the issue should be fixed.
At this moment, the available workaround is to disable the enhanced compute engine until the fix is
deployed.

I confirm that after the Compute Engine on Premium was turned off and I had allocated more memory to dataflows on the Premium Capacity that the larger sized computed entities ran successfully.  I needed to allocate more memory to dataflows as some of the larger sized computed entities then returned the error that  Evaluation ran out of memory after the Compute Engine was turned off.

jeffshieldsdev
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Ditto on disabling EDCE and now refreshes are working again.  Thanks.

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @philosopher ,

Glad to hear that.

Best Regards,

Icey

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @philosopher ,

This is a New Known Issue added for Power BI - Some Dataflow refresh fails with timeout error when enhanced compute engine is turned on for dataflow workload.

I suggest you to Disable SQL compute engine and retry.

If the issue is still there, please be patient and the engineers will fix it as soon as possible. I will notify you of any updates.

Best Regards,
Icey

Thanks @Icey .

I have disable the enhanced compute engine and try to refresh the dataflow again. It seems to be working now.

At the same time, I received email on my support ticket, pointing to the same solution as well.

Regards,

joC

jeffshieldsdev
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I've been getting this error trying to refresh dataflows since Saturday:

Error: An internal error occurred... RootActivityId = xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx.Param1 = Execution Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. Request ID: xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx.

I've been refactoring my dataflows all weekend, trying to resolve the error...I didn't figure it was on the Microsoft side.

I'll submit a ticket too, please let us know if you hear anything.

I'm using the Enhanced Compute Engine, on Power BI Premium.  Data source is Azure SQL DB, but is happening for on-prem Teradata also.

Sorry to hijack your thread.

Microsoft support called me back.  He confirmed seeing all my dataflow refresh errors over the weekend in logs.  He doesn't see anything misconfigured in my queries.  He's going to get an Azure SQL DB set up and do more testing.

jochungJE
Frequent Visitor

I have the exact same problem. My Dataflow for the "linked entities" been failing since Saturday, the Dataflow these linked entities reference from do not have any issue with the refresh.

The error I have been getting related to "Param1 = Execution Timeout Expired".  I have submit a support ticket hoping to get some help.

Hey @jochungJE 

Please keep us posted with the progress on your support ticket, I'm getting a bit desperate here.

"Execution Timeout Expired" is our error too.

It randomly appears on various DataFlows.

I have monitored the db usage and running queries at the time of the errors, there's nothing wrong there, queries begin and end in time. Yet, the data flows continue to be 'refresh in progress' until they fail with timeout. 

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @philosopher ,

Please check if your gateway is on. And if possible, try to keep your gateway up to date. 

If the issue is still there, please give me more details, such as:

1. What's your data source?

2. What's the error message?

And I find one workaround, maybe you can refer to.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Dataflow-Timeout/td-p/614925

dataflow.PNG

Best Regards,
Icey

@philosopher Are you running the dataflows on a workspace that is in capacity? If so, what are the capacity metrics showing in the performance report - (Power BI Premium Capcacity Metrics App)? You could be hitting memory issues if your capacity is not large enough.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Nope, no capacity, no premium

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors