Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mihalykavasi
Advocate I
Advocate I

DataFlow - table is empty when connecting with Desktop

Hi everyone!

I have an issue with dataflows.

I created a simple dataflow using a SharePoint List.

I can see the data in the dataflow editor

DataFlow - EditorDataFlow - Editor

But when I try to use it in Power BI Desktop the table is empty.

DataFlow - NavigatiorDataFlow - Navigatior

DataFLow - No dataDataFLow - No data

I was not able to solve this issue so far.

Any idea?

Thanks,

Mihaly

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mihalykavasi ,

After creating the new dataflow, please refresh the DataFlow on service to make data loaded into the entity. Then, click the "Refresh" button in "Navigator" pane. If still no data is shown, please clear permissions under "Data Source settings", and establish the connection to dataflow again.

1.PNG

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
quizhyo
Advocate I
Advocate I

I found a solution in my case: 

Datamart just shows about 1000 rows. So, if there are errors in row 1001. We can't know 

=> adding 1 more step remove error 

quizhyo
Advocate I
Advocate I

It doesn't work for me. Do you have another solution?

Hey,
I had the same issue, dataflow appeared with rows but when I get data from it, it shows as empty.
The issue was the relation with another dataflow, indeed the refresh was linked to another dataflow for which it failed.
Check in the folder view if all refreshes worked well, then fix potential fails.

OParada1120
Frequent Visitor

I had this exact same issue just a few hours ago in where I created a dataflow and actually changed the data types within that dataflow before saving and refreshing the data. It wasn't until that I had removed those changes that the data was flowing from the dataflow/Power BI service into the .pbix file that I was creating.

Avoid making any changes to the data type in the dataflow. Make your data type changes in the .pbix.

Changed all of the columns that weren't text already to text, and that did the trick. Must be a bug.

Thanks a ton! this worked for me as well

Thank you - This did the trick for me.

leighp
Frequent Visitor

This is a pretty old question, but I was facing this issue too and found a solution. The current posted solution did not work for me

When adding new tables to the dataflow, I discovered that I had to click "Add Table" and link the excel file and add tables per file, rather than adding them all in Power Query. By doing this the table data showed up in Power BI Desktop

mkash
Regular Visitor

Try to follow this strategy:

1. Avoid changing data types in dataflows. Keep all columns as strings as much as possible.

2. Check for column quality and avoid any types of errors.

3. Process data a less as possible in dataflows. Use dataflows only a data collection and data connection point.

I had the same problem, I solved mine by removing all data type changes from my data. Once, I import it in power bi, I changed data types as I wished.

Hope that helps.

HeihoSilver
Frequent Visitor

Hi,
In addition to what is suggested above and in this Microsoft document, you might want to check the credentials settings both in the desktop and service (login accordingly). I use Sharepoint as datasource in the data flow. In this case, I put credentials type and privacy levels as Organizational.

Desktop:

HeihoSilver_0-1638348896449.png

Service:

HeihoSilver_1-1638349010587.png

HeihoSilver_2-1638349079561.png

Hope it solve the issue.

Best regards,

Yahya

sciomac
Frequent Visitor

Hi everyone,

I've got the same problem, I have created 3 dataflows:

1. From Excel file: No problem at all
  2. From Template Dynamic 365 Sales: I have refreshed after creating and I've checked that there is data but when I tried with PB Desktop, it tells me that tables are empty. I have also refreshed the navigator.
  3. From SQL Server: I have refreshed after creating and I've checked that there is data but when I tried with PB Desktop, it tells me that tables are empty. I have also refreshed the navigator.

Power Query Editor Online

Screenshot 2019-11-14 at 20.53.17.pngPB Desktop

Screenshot 2019-11-14 at 20.53.36.png

Can anyone help me, please?

Thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable

Were you able to get solution to this? 

I have the same problem and I can't solve it. Can anyone help?

thanks,

Anonymous
Not applicable

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mihalykavasi ,

After creating the new dataflow, please refresh the DataFlow on service to make data loaded into the entity. Then, click the "Refresh" button in "Navigator" pane. If still no data is shown, please clear permissions under "Data Source settings", and establish the connection to dataflow again.

1.PNG

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yulgu-msft ,

I have tried all the suggested options but none of them worked. Tried refreshing data in PowerBI service, tried refreshing data in Navigator, tried refreshing data in Preview pane, tried clearing the permissions but it still shows "The table is empty". Any suggestions?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same problem, apparently, the data is not loaded in Power Bi Desktop if any column has an error. In my case, a transformation was trying to parse a list column in text and the value only shows "error", removing this transformation all worked.

I did all transformation steps in dataflow and check each step, no error at all, I can also see the data from dataflow

But when I connect it to create a new power report, the table is empty, do you know why and how can i solve this?

Export that dataflow and import it again, refresh the new dataflow, then try to connect it as datasource for your power bi desktop. It worked for me before.

If you go back to the dataflow and start editing it. Do you see the data? Also have you checked in the service if the data flow refresh was successful?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors