Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

majdkaid22
Helper V
Helper V

DataFlow possible bug?

Hi Community,

Am getting an error that I have not encountered before. 

"The columns parameter must be null, specify the number of columns, specify a list of column names, or specify a table type."

After digging, I found out the cause. I have a mapping table in DataFlow, which am merging with other tables coming (non-DataFlow) in the PBI desktop Dataset. 

Up until last last week, everything was working smooth, and no refresh interupttion, and then the above error started coming up.

I copied the mapping table code from the advance editor from DataFlow and put it inside PBI Desktop Dataset, and the error disappeared. 

The issue seems to be tied up with the service/DataFlow 

Anyone has encountered such error? what can be done to fix such error?

Thanks,

Majd

14 REPLIES 14
Goofr
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

I had to install the april version of the Gateway to resolve this.

I had this bug for months and now after updating the gateway to the 2019-04-09 version it now works.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here.  Thanks for all your help!

mark_carlisle
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

@majdkaid22@v-yuta-msft

I'm also having this exact error. This error started to manifest itself on 05 April 2019 for me. This is occouring on multiple reports and can be created on demand.

I have attempted the following in trying to resolve;

• Used the Merge Queries as New option rather than Merge Queries.
  • Have the dataflow table load into memory by checking Enable Load option within Power Query Editor.
  • Rebuilt the Dataflows.
  • Rebuilt the report in the latest version of PBI Desktop (2.67.5404.981 64-bit (March 2019)).
  • Confirmed the gateway is on the latest version (3000.2.52 (march 2019 release 2)).
  • Removed the merge (obviously this works but is an unacceptable solution as I need that data merged).
  • Re-entered credentials for the dataflow in PBI Desktop and on the Service.

Error as taken from PBI Service;

Something went wrong
Unable to connect to the data source undefined.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Underlying error code: -2147467259 Table: NonVoice.
Underlying error message: The columns parameter must be null, specify the number of columns, specify a list of column names, or specify a table type.
DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult: -2147467259
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Reason: Expression.Error
Cluster URI: WABI-US-EAST2-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: 83703c77-276c-43e1-83ef-9790ea382b48
Request ID: ae46f037-b1dd-9558-316e-b59540007abf
Time: 2019-04-08 09:40:59Z

@mark_carlisle Sorry for not responding back on time. FYI, similar issue happened yesterday and the Gateway July-2019 release 2 fixed the problem. in case you got the error you way...

@Anonymous  @mark_carlisle 

Microsoft Support team have confirmed this is a bug according to a reply on a support team I've opened. Am supposed to get into remote session with them to evaluate the issue. 

I will update this thread as soon as I get further information

@majdkaid22 Any luck with MS on resolving the issue?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same issue while taking data source from dataflows. Update Gateway and the problem is resolved.

We're on the March R2 version but I've noticed that the April version is out today so I'll update tomorrow. Could you confirm if this is the version you are on?
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am on the March R2 right now and have no issue to refresh the report.

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@majdkaid22 ,

After digging, I found out the cause. I have a mapping table in DataFlow, which am merging with other tables coming (non-DataFlow) in the PBI desktop Dataset. 

Up until last last week, everything was working smooth, and no refresh interupttion, and then the above error started coming up.

I copied the mapping table code from the advance editor from DataFlow and put it inside PBI Desktop Dataset, and the error disappeared. 

Have you removed the dataset which is not created by dataflow? If you have, does this issue still exist in power bi service?

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuta-msftwhen I created the table in pbi desktop rather than dataflow, the refresh is working fine on the service without any issues.

Note: The table is created (enter data function in pbi) which I create in pbi desktop usually and I copy the code to dataflow

@v-yuta-msft any update on the this issue please?

Am getting same error on other reports as well. Any merging or Appending in PBI desktop between table stored in DataFlow and other tables from other sources is causing the problem on PBI service only

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am getting the same issue across several of my dataflows now.  If I run the sql query inside the dataflow it works but any reference to dataflows outside of that workspace has stopped working all of the sudden!  I'm not sure how to even workaround this issue without undoing all my work.  If this isn't a bug, can someone put me on the right path of what it might be please?

Thanks,

Scott

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors