Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

catcollector
Helper I
Helper I

DataFlow connect to Athena (ODBC) Timed out

When creating the dataflow, we're connecting to ODBC (where dsn is defined for Athena). We return out AWS Catalog from Athena. But, when I try to return a single table from Athena with just two rows and four columns, the operation timed out after around 10 minutes.

catcollector_0-1630082163599.png

Here are the steps:

1. Create new dataflow
  2. Define new tables > add new tables
  3. Select ODBC as data source
  4. On connection settings inpur the odbc connection string to bring up our athena connection, Next
  5. ower Query screen displays with a list of Athena catalog, select a table from one of the database. The display/preview screen keeps spinning.  If I let this play out and wait for a preview, operation will time out here. But, we can select "Transform data" to proceed.
    catcollector_2-1630082494590.png
    catcollector_3-1630083296996.png
  6. If I proceed past the preview screen and wait, the operation eventually times out
    catcollector_4-1630083451571.pngcatcollector_5-1630086796705.png

Just curious whether anyone has pointers/advice here? I am able to query this table in AWS Athena.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
catcollector
Helper I
Helper I

This issue was resolved by adding a PORT 444 inbound rule to our security group in AWS.

https://aws.amazon.com/premiumsupport/knowledge-center/athena-connection-timeout-jdbc-odbc-driver/

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
catcollector
Helper I
Helper I

This issue was resolved by adding a PORT 444 inbound rule to our security group in AWS.

https://aws.amazon.com/premiumsupport/knowledge-center/athena-connection-timeout-jdbc-odbc-driver/

Hi @catcollector ,

I am facing similar issue, my gateway and ODBC DSN is setup on an EC2 instance.

I tried opening ports for the EC2 instance but it did not work. Do we need to open the port 444 on the EC2 where the gateway is setup or is this something on the Athena end. 

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors