Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Ander
Regular Visitor

DataFlow Refresh - PowerBI Premium License (per user vs capacity?)

I recently tried to merge more than 1 table together and do other data transformation/calculated columns within my dataflow in PowerBI online service. I have a powerBI pro account and noticed it gave me a notice saying I need to upgrade to Premium Capacity for my workspace. If I obtained a PowerBI "Premium per user" license and converted my workspace to "premium per user" would that allow me to schedule refresh for my dataflow? OR Do I have to purchase the "premium capacity" license for my workspace in order to enable refresh for my dataflow? Also, would that mean other users would also require a premium per user license to access content i create within my workspace? dataflow premium capacity needed.png

2 REPLIES 2
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Ander ,

content that is hosted inside a Premium Per User workspace, can only be consumed by users that have a PPU license.

Content hosted in a workspace backed by a Premium capacity like P1 can be consumed by users if they are accessing the workspace directly and if these users have a Pro license assigned. If users accessing content (reports and dashboards) via an App, a free Power BI license is sufficient.

Hopefully, this provides what you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Would you happen to know the answer to my 1st question as well regarding if premium capacity vs premium per user license is needed to refresh dataflows automatically that have transformation suh as merging and calculated columns? When I try to refresh my dataflow it gives me the following error. Will a premium "per user" account allow me to refresh my dataflow that "contains computed tables" so the error in the attached image does not happen? dataflow premium capacity needed.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors