Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DataFlow Refresh Error and Fix for added Fields in Dynamics 365

I work with Power BI Desktop and Service and have began using DataFlows to extract data from Dynamics 365. I noticed that my reports would not refresh if a field was added to the entity in Dynamics 365. The error stated that there were more columns than expected, which caused all my reports to crash. 

Here is what I have found works. 

1. Go to Power BI service and enter into the dataflow and exit, which validates all the queries. 

2. Go to the report in Power BI Desktop and clear all permissions under data source settings on the desktop report

3. Refresh the data flow

4. Wait ~20 mins

5. Refresh the power BI report on desktop and publish to the service

This has worked for me. Please message me if you have any faster ways to do this!

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same problem but figured out the root cause....its the model.JSON file that gets updated with the schema of your dataflow. If you have a new column that gets added to your dataflow from the source (whether its another unlinked dataflow or a select * statement from a database), dataflows doesnt seems to auto-support schema drift. 

High level process of what's happening

1. Data source gets changed to now have 11 columns
  2. You refresh dataflow without editing to validation and save which triggers the model.JSON file to update
  3. Query dataflow from PBI Desktop: model.JSON file says to expect 10 columns but the actual CSV data that JSON file points to has 11 columns... thus you get this error.

If you are using disable load to consume data from other dataflows, using premium linked entities would likely fix the problem since metadata is linked instead of duplicated. But in your scenario it sounds like in Dynamics the scema drifted and Dataflows doesn't yet support source schema drift since the model.JSON is only compiled at validation of your dataflow when you save.

Workaround IF the source of your dataflow changes (i.e. more/less columns)

1. edit dataflow (no actual edits required)
  2. click Validate and Save
  3. Refresh your dataflow after saving
  4. Refresh Power BI report and your new column will be available without error

You can validate all of this happens by reviewing the exported JSON file before valdiating and saving your dataflow and then viewing again after saving...you'll noticed that before the JSON did not having the new column and after, it will.

I made a copy of an existing report, removed one column, and got this error when I refreshed on PBI desktop.
Where do I go to edit dataflow ?

freder1ck
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

I can confirm that this worked for me.

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Thanks for your kindly sharing. It might help more users having similar problem.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors