Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data source management for reports in all workspaces

Hello, I have several workspaces, each workspace has multiple reports, and each report extracts data from multiple tables, although all tables (in all reports and workspaces) reside in the same SQL server database. Automated SSIS and Python jobs create/update the data in these SQL database tables. So whenever a SSIS job is modified or Python code is modified, potentially a number of SQL database tables and their data which feed into a number of PBI reports will be impacted. Is there a feature in PBI desktop or service which I can create a list of ALL the SQL database tables whose data feed into these multiple PBI reports in multiple workspaces? Grateful for any advice! Thank you!

p.s. my workaround right now is to go into each PBI report manually and identify all the SQL database tables being used and save them in an excel file, which is not only tedious, but also if someone changes a table data source in one of the reports, then my excel list won't be updated unless I am informed about the update. 

4 REPLIES 4
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Have you had a look at the Shared Datasets feature?

What this will allow you to do, is for all reports to connect to this single shared dataset?

Then when you have to make any changes you can just make it to one dataset?

Here are more details on shared datasets: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-datasets-across-workspaces

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Gilbert. But this feature allows me to create multiple reports across multiple workspaces from one single dataset (in my case, a single database, multiple tables). But my circumstance now is after the fact. All these PBI reports have been created and I want to identify all the tables in the one SQL database that impact the reports in these workspaces. How can I identify them? Perhaps I am not understanding this well. Thanks.

Hi there

What I would then do is to run Query Profiler on the SQL database when the refreshes are happening to see which tables are being queried.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Gilbert. I will try that and let you know !

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors