Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

Data source credentials disabled after failed scheduled refresh: can't give credentials

The scheduled refresh on a dataset I maintain started failing after I added a couple RSS feeds to it:

"Scheduled refresh has been disabled due to at least one data source not having credentials provided. Please provide credentials for all data sources, and then turn scheduled refresh back on."

OK, first off, these RSS feeds are public so it's an Anonymous access that doesn't have credentials. Fine, I'd be happy to tell powerbi.com so, but now Data source credentials is disabled (greyed out and can't be expanded) and the service is asking me about my gateway. I do NOT use a gateway whatsoever on the desktop side, all the data sources in this dataset are online (OneDrive for Business, web APIs, web pages/feeds).

I've googled for this but similar-sounding threads didn't have an answer for me. Anyone know how to solve this?

More broadly, scheduled refreshes fail for trivial reasons, and when one source fails to refresh, the whole refresh fails *and* scheduled refreshes are suspended. This really adds up to admin overhead, I think this has been reported on the Ideas forum but I needed to vent because this is IMO a big unattended weakness. We want to do business intelligence, not click click click to get scheduled processes restarted (when we can do so in the first place...)

Sorry for the rant but these refreshes have been a big waste of time!

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals
4 REPLIES 4
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @otravers,

It seems a Gateway is needed in your scenario. Please refer to this documentation. If you select a data gateway, the credentials part could be highlighted again.

Data_source_credentials_disabled_after_failed_scheduled_refresh

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Dale, that's close enough. It turns out that (unbeknown to me) Power BI Desktop had loaded a local cached copy of the RSS feeds in the query editor rather than their web URL. I fixed it, but that's unexpected behavior.

BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

Can you tell us how you did it? Im facing the same problem and cant seem to fix it.

otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

@jdvcpnl in my case I replaced the path to a local cached version of the RSS file (somehow inserted by Power Query when I built my query) with the web URL that I intended to use in the first place.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors