cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
otravers
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Data source credentials disabled after failed scheduled refresh: can't give credentials

The scheduled refresh on a dataset I maintain started failing after I added a couple RSS feeds to it:

 

"Scheduled refresh has been disabled due to at least one data source not having credentials provided. Please provide credentials for all data sources, and then turn scheduled refresh back on."

 

OK, first off, these RSS feeds are public so it's an Anonymous access that doesn't have credentials. Fine, I'd be happy to tell powerbi.com so, but now Data source credentials is disabled (greyed out and can't be expanded) and the service is asking me about my gateway. I do NOT use a gateway whatsoever on the desktop side, all the data sources in this dataset are online (OneDrive for Business, web APIs, web pages/feeds).

 

I've googled for this but similar-sounding threads didn't have an answer for me. Anyone know how to solve this?

 

More broadly, scheduled refreshes fail for trivial reasons, and when one source fails to refresh, the whole refresh fails *and* scheduled refreshes are suspended. This really adds up to admin overhead, I think this has been reported on the Ideas forum but I needed to vent because this is IMO a big unattended weakness. We want to do business intelligence, not click click click to get scheduled processes restarted (when we can do so in the first place...)

 

Sorry for the rant but these refreshes have been a big waste of time!

4 REPLIES 4
v-jiascu-msft
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @otravers,

 

It seems a Gateway is needed in your scenario. Please refer to this documentation. If you select a data gateway, the credentials part could be highlighted again.

Data_source_credentials_disabled_after_failed_scheduled_refresh

 

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
otravers
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Thanks Dale, that's close enough. It turns out that (unbeknown to me) Power BI Desktop had loaded a local cached copy of the RSS feeds in the query editor rather than their web URL. I fixed it, but that's unexpected behavior.

Can you tell us how you did it? Im facing the same problem and cant seem to fix it.

otravers
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@jdvcpnl in my case I replaced the path to a local cached version of the RSS file (somehow inserted by Power Query when I built my query) with the web URL that I intended to use in the first place.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power BI October Update 2021.jpg

Power BI Release

Click here to read more about the October 2021 Release!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Teds Dev Camp Oct. 2021 768x460.jpg

Power BI Dev Camp - October 28th, 2021

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!