Data source credentials disabled after failed scheduled refresh: can't give credentials
The scheduled refresh on a dataset I maintain started failing after I added a couple RSS feeds to it:
"Scheduled refresh has been disabled due to at least one data source not having credentials provided. Please provide credentials for all data sources, and then turn scheduled refresh back on."
OK, first off, these RSS feeds are public so it's an Anonymous access that doesn't have credentials. Fine, I'd be happy to tell powerbi.com so, but now Data source credentials is disabled (greyed out and can't be expanded) and the service is asking me about my gateway. I do NOT use a gateway whatsoever on the desktop side, all the data sources in this dataset are online (OneDrive for Business, web APIs, web pages/feeds).
I've googled for this but similar-sounding threads didn't have an answer for me. Anyone know how to solve this?
More broadly, scheduled refreshes fail for trivial reasons, and when one source fails to refresh, the whole refresh fails *and* scheduled refreshes are suspended. This really adds up to admin overhead, I think this has been reported on the Ideas forum but I needed to vent because this is IMO a big unattended weakness. We want to do business intelligence, not click click click to get scheduled processes restarted (when we can do so in the first place...)
Sorry for the rant but these refreshes have been a big waste of time!
Thanks Dale, that's close enough. It turns out that (unbeknown to me) Power BI Desktop had loaded a local cached copy of the RSS feeds in the query editor rather than their web URL. I fixed it, but that's unexpected behavior.