Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Yoga
Helper I
Helper I

Data source change in service

Hi there,

I have developed a report and data model in Power BI desktop in Development machine using Direct Query option and trying to deploy in Test server for QA testing the PBIX file but connecting to Test database. Both environments are Oracle with same schema.

In the Test server, I have installed on-premises Gateway with Test Database credentials. When deployment team imported the PBIX file in a new app work space following error mesaage indicating the data source (development machine TNS name) can't be accessed.

"This data source can't be accessed by a data gateway: Server: xxxxxx" Database: Oracle

Trying following,

In Development machine, develop report and save PBIX file in source control. We have Test, Stage and Prod servers where we move the file as per process and use respective file to import to a Power BI service. I cannot go back to change the data source in power BI desktop to test and give it to deployment team.

In Test server, installed Gateway with Test Database connection. Import the PBIX file (which has Devepment Database connection info) in Power BI service. Thought of same pbix file now connect to test database where the reports will show Test data. But errored as above mentioned.

In Stage server, installed Gateway with Stage Database connection. Will import the PBIX file here for User Testing
In Production server, install Gateway with production Database connection. Will import the same PBIX file here so user can use this.

Quetion:
1. How can I point DB connection of the PBIX file to respective DB in its app work spaces? Means, In Test app workspace, reports should get generated from Test DB data. In Stage app workspace, it should ahow stage data and same for Production.

2. Is this the right way to stage my PBIX file (creating different app workspaces (Test, Stage and Production) and connect to respective database in that worspaces? Or please suggest professional standard to follow for deployment.

Thanks,
Yoga

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks XIaoxin for reply.

We maintain one TNS Name in all Dev, Test, Stage and Production servers. Since I use the same TNS in PBIX file, We are able to move the files to all servers without any change as expected. So no need to change in power bi services running in different servers.

Thanks,

Yoga

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SSKLK
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I'm working on Power BI very recently. I generated a report using power BI desktop.

Get Data -> Sql Server (DB in my local machine)

I published the report in Power BI server and used on premises gateaway to refresh with up-to-date data. I worked as expected.

on premises gateaway -> used Sql Server as DataSource

Now, i want to connect DB in another server to this report. DB structure is same. instead of local i want to connect production DB.

How to do it? have to install on premises gateaway in production server? or What are the things i need to do for this change?

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Yoga,

AFAK. you can't direct modify your datasource in power bi service. 

>>1. How can I point DB connection of the PBIX file to respective DB in its app work spaces? Means, In Test app workspace, reports should get generated from Test DB data. In Stage app workspace, it should ahow stage data and same for Production.

For your situation, you can change connection string before publish, then choose the specific workspace to store the reports with match datasource.

Steps: (prerequisite: all datasource has similar table structure and relationship)

1. Create report on current device.
2. Install the gateway and make sure it can connect to actual data source and sign in your power bi account.
3. Change datasource connection string to actual datasoruce string before publish to power bi service. (after this operation, current report will not available)
4. Add actual data source to current gateway.
5. Use gateway which contains above datasource to manage the report refresh.

>>2. Is this the right way to stage my PBIX file (creating different app workspaces (Test, Stage and Production) and connect to respective database in that worspaces? Or please suggest professional standard to follow for deployment.

Actually, after finish publish reports, you can't modify datasets of published reports.(you can only edit the authorization certificate)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks For the reply Xiaoxin.

Once connection information is set (which is Development connection), I need to check in the file and hand over to Deployment team. So I am unable to change the connection to Test DB in the PBIX file and publish. Also this will go to Stage and Produntion environments, so I cannot modify my PBIX files for that.

Trying solution as below as of now,

1. Have the DNS name same in Dev, Test, Stage and Prod server.

2. PBIX file connects through DB through the Server name (TNS name), but in each workspace different Gateways data set connects to different DBs with same server name. So seems it works. I am still working on it.

Ex:

TNSNames.ora in Dev server

TNS_SALE

{

server=xxxx

}

Gateway installed in this server having server as TNS_SALE 

TNSNames.ora in Test server

TNS_SALE

{

server=xxxx

}

Gateway installed in this server having server as TNS_SALE 

Service:

I have Two app worspaces, Dev and Test. Each connects to its respective gateway. Since the PBIX file is having same Server name, it will connect to respective DB.

Please suggest will this work, or any other solution?

Thanks,

Yoga

HI @Yoga,

It is impossible to change it on power bi service. If you want to change the datasource, you need to modify the pbix file.

>>So I am unable to change the connection to Test DB in the PBIX file and publish.

You can try ask other users who has modify permission to download pbix file from power bi service, then update the datasource connection string, publish to replace the current file.

Regards,

XIaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks XIaoxin for reply.

We maintain one TNS Name in all Dev, Test, Stage and Production servers. Since I use the same TNS in PBIX file, We are able to move the files to all servers without any change as expected. So no need to change in power bi services running in different servers.

Thanks,

Yoga

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors