Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

KellyPorter
Frequent Visitor

Data source access error Analysis Services Stopped Working When Updated Password

I have a published Power BI Report that points to a SSAS Tabular database. It worked fine for an extended time up until we updated the password on the admin account.  Now the report is blank and shows a pink bar at the top that says "There was a data source access error.  Please contact the gateway administrator."  I updated the password on the data source in the gateway and it says "Connection Succesful".  I have tried the following but still have a blank report.

• I have updated the gateway and I have restarted the gateway.
  • I confirmed that the admin account is assigned to a role on the database using the exact same account
  • I removed the data source from the gateway completely, then added it again (Connection Successful), then mapped the dataset to that data source.  
  • I can connect successfully to the data source in Power BI Desktop using the same credentials
  • I restarted the server that houses both the gateway and the SSAS Tabular database
  • I tried creating a new report pointing to the same SSAS Tabular database and published to the service.  I mapped it to the data source, but it has the same error when I try to view the report.

Can this be a UPN issue considering that nothing has changed except for the password?  Is there somewhere that I need to update credentials?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for your response, @Greg_Deckler .  I did try that, and no luck.  The issue turned out to be that the password had not been updated for the services in SQL Server Configuration Manager.  Once I got that updated and restarted services, data started populating in my reports again.  It had not occurred to me to check the configuration manager, as the data source in the gateway indicated "connection successful" when slearly it was not.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi  @KellyPorter 

Try to re-add the datasource in manage gateway and set map user for this Analysis Services datasource.

see more details as below document:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-enterprise-manage-ssas

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/how-authentication-with-analysis-services-live-connections-...

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks, Lin.  I had tried that as well, but no luck.  The issue turned out to be that the password had not been updated  for the services in SQL Server Configuration Manager.  Once I got that updated and restarted services, data started populating in my reports again.  It had not occurred to me to check the configuration manager, as the data source in the gateway indicated "connection successful".

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@KellyPorter - Probably not but maybe try updating the data connection in the PBIX file. Otherwise, You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks for your response, @Greg_Deckler .  I did try that, and no luck.  The issue turned out to be that the password had not been updated for the services in SQL Server Configuration Manager.  Once I got that updated and restarted services, data started populating in my reports again.  It had not occurred to me to check the configuration manager, as the data source in the gateway indicated "connection successful" when slearly it was not.

hi  @KellyPorter 

It's pleasant that your problem has been solved, 😁 please accept the reply as solution, that way, other community members will easily find the solution when they get same issue.

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors